Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD in regular boot, not in others.

• Please log in to reply

coastalcathy

coastalcathy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Newbie here, so be kind. Wicked Facebook gave me the xp deluxe defender virus yesterday. I ran Spy Doctor and it took it away after much wrestling and struggling and fighting. It was a hard won victory, but I still have scars. If I boot the computer normally, it boots fine. However, as soon as I try to do any work, even clicking on a desktop icon, BAM I get the BSOD. I can run in Safe, Safe Networking, and even do everything normally if I run in Last know working configuration. However, I cannot get the system restore to work. I get a message that it is not working. And, I cannot get this thing work under a regular boot. I've looked high and low for problems in the drivers, problems with a piece of the virus left. Can't find anything anywhere. I seem to be virus-free except for the boot issue. Here's the blue screen I get when I try to work with a normal boot:

A problem has been detect and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. "Me talking here - Windows is not capitalized - could this screen be bogus?"

If this is the firt time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to see if you have adequate disc space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disble the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as yadda yadda yadd. (Ok, it didn't say yadda, but I don't think this part is important)

Now, here is the stop message:
0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x89E218EC, 0xF78B2968, 0x00000000

0000834 - address 89E218EC base at 89E2100, DateStamp 4A2F8A3d

So, there you have it. Anyone who can tell me what this message means and what I need to do to fix things, I would be so grateful! Please keep in mind while I can root around and am not timid about going into the computer and making changes, you must talk to me like I'm the original idiot behind the keyboard. Baby steps will work just fine!

Thanks much!
Coastalcathy

Edited by coastalcathy, 15 June 2009 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing to do is:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here