Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding new RAM

• Please log in to reply

Nem0

Nem0

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ahoy there :)

This may be a silly question, i wouldn't know, but if the new RAM i have bought for my PC isnt the right sort, can i just take it out again and my PC will go on running as normal? (with the origional RAM already inside it)

I ask because its highly likely ive bought the wrong one and was wondering if i will ruin my PC by putting the wrong sort of RAM in? I read somewhere else that if it is the wrong sort you can just take it out again and the PC will go on as normal like before...

Thought i had better check :)

Ok... me out

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should have no problems using the original memory. Can you explain what issues you were having with the new memory? If I can suggest something that may help you with getting the correct memory?

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Nem0

Nem0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for replying :)

Umm, well i havent actually got the new memory yet (i'm waiting for it to arrive in the post)

I know it was a bit late to ask... :)

Thanks for the link anyhoo, i will use that if i have bought the wrong one! I just didnt want to risk losing everything on my PC :)

Ok....thanks! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just as an FYI. The recommended process is to never mix manufacturers of ram. You could have compatibility issues. With that said, it does not mean that if the ram is mixed, that you will have problems.
If you install a higher speed ram with a slower speed ram, the computer will revert to the slower speed.

Let us know how you make out, or if you need furthur help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also to add to 123Runner's comment I suggest you use the online scanner and compare the results with the new memory you ordered. This way you can verify that it will work before even opening it.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
not to confuse things but there is also the issue of low density and high density modules,

all motherboards use low density ram, but only a few can use high density

a way to check is (using a 1gb module) the numbers

low density = 64Mx8

high density = 128Mx4 (and usually unbranded)

laptopfan76

laptopfan76

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Nem0

You should be ok if you followed the advice of rshaffer61 and used the online scanner when you bought the new RAM for your laptop. Check again before you open the new RAM and install. It's an easy process to insert the new RAM (you can normally find guides on your computer manufacturer's website) but if you have any problems come back and I can always help.

Matthew
HP

Edited by laptopfan76, 22 June 2009 - 03:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Hawklord. I believe the online scanner would be able to distinguish between the two also and recommend the correct type and density for Nem0.

Thank you Laptopfan76 and offer of assistance.

Nem0

Nem0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow! Thanks everyone! :)

Well, I'll have to wait for it to arrive and inform you of the situation... :)

Like i said, its highly likely its wrong so i expect you'll be hearing from me soon :)

Thanks for all the help, kinda wish i had found you before i bought it now! :) Oh well... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you. We will continue to monitor this topic and await your results from the new memory and how it works for you.
I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Advertisements

Nem0

Nem0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:)

dont even ask...

So i'm down £20 and back to square one... can i just start from the beginning? :)

I dont know what RAM to get now! :)

Can you help me please? :) I suck lol :)

What do you need to know about my pc? Should i give you my results from the crucial scanner? I'm sorry! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do not be so hard on yourself. After all, the only way to learn is by our mistakes. Check to see if you can return it.

Please give us the scanner results and we will guide you from there.

123runner

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
do you know the make and model of your motherboard ?

Nem0

Nem0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
for some reason i cant do that crucial scan thing again and i didnt save the information the first time because... well it doesnt really matter, lets just say i always save important things like that but this time... :) :)

Anyway, i will tell you everything i can see on my motherboard to be on the safe side and all...

Name: ECS RC410 - M
HP/Compaq name: Alhena - GL6

I believe this is my motherboard: http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00783599

if that helps?

thanks for helping me :)

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok,

i do my shopping in manchester, at a place called microdirect

if that is the correct motherboard then click here for a few options on your memory,

hope it helps,

oh, you can phone them - very helpfull