Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Startup Problems - help needed!

• Please log in to reply

mike3142

mike3142

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem I am facing with my computer. I have a HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home and I was trying to customize my Windows Vista theme and did not do it correctly. What I did was replace three files system files and it did not work. Now when I start my computer it says that the file "uxtheme.dll" does not work for my operating system or is a corrupted file. The farthest my computer will start up to is the sign in screen which works and after putting in the password it just goes to a blank black screen. If anyone can help me replace this uxtheme.dll file to the original please let me know. I have a ton of essays I need to turn in and its all on my computer. Thanks!!!

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Usually on HP's you can get to System Restore through Startup Repair. To do this, start tapping the F8 key rapidly just as the HP logo disappears from the boot screen. At the top of the listing should be an entry to "Repair your computer". Select that and let it run.

Once in, you'll first try Startup Repair - and most likely this will fix the issue. If it doesn't, then select the Advanced options and look for the System Restore entry. Once you get it, set your system back to a time closest to (BUT before) the time that you made the changes.

mike3142

mike3142

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help, however, the startup repair did not find the problem. I also tried to do a system restore but I have no reference point. Is there any way I could download a correct uxtheme.dll file and replace it from dos?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
You may be able to extract one from your installation DVD - but that's outside of my abilities so you'll have to wait for another to provide some insight.

pinkangel9633

pinkangel9633

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP Pavillion, I have had it for 6 months, and just 2 days ago the computer was on and the screensaver was on. I went to get on and shoke the mouse to wake it up, and it woke up butjuss a darkish blue screen was the only thing that came up. I have shut down and unpluged the compuer several times. When i turn the computer back on i have tried starting it normally and system repair. Nothing seems to work. what do I do? :)

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
pinkangel9633 please start your own topic.
Attempting to fix your problems here will confuse the topic that mike3142 started, and starting your own topic will get your problem the attention that it deserves.