Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct X installation problem

• Please log in to reply

JGrant

JGrant

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am trying to play an old game on a pretty old lap top. The game is age of empires III.

I need to instal Direct X. The error message is one that appeared a couple of years ago here and I tried the solution. Didn't work.

When I try to instal Direct X the error message is " A cabinet file necessary for installation can not be trusted. Please verify the cryptographic services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Older versions of Direct X have security vulnerabilities severe enough that Windows will refuse to install them. Why don't you go ahead and download a newer version of Direct X. If the game's installer was made correctly, it will detect the newer version and won't try to install the older version. Also, keep an eye out for an option during the installation to "Skip Direct X install."

To download it go HERE

Edited by NeonFx, 16 June 2009 - 11:40 AM.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the response :) (that didn't seem to work?)

I did before, and again just now go to that cite and the message about the "cabinet file" is the message i get.

and when i installed and reinstalled this game i never saw a choice of "skip direct X install". so i am at a loss.
My son gave me this game and I really would like to use it.

any idea re "cabinet file" problem? :)
thanks

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Restore Security Settings, by using the Fix It For Me in the middle of the page. Download and install.

After the fix is done, reboot and try the DirectX install again.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the suggestion

i did successfully download and install the fix it for me
i rebooted and attempted to load the Direct X
and
got the same message about the cabinet file

would love another suggestion :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
How to use CodeStuff Starter to view services and startup items:

• Please download and install CodeStuff Starter
  • Run Starter by finding it on your start menu after it is installed.
  • When the program opens, you will see three tabs on the main screen (Startup, Processes, Services)
  • Please click the Startup tab and make sure that All Sections is selected on the left hand side under the sections view pane.
  • Once the Startup tab and all sections is selected, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it startup.html.
  • Now, please click the Services tab.
  • Once the Services tab is open, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it services.html.
  • Now that both files have been saved to your desktop, close CodeStuff Starter.
  • Locate the startup.html and services.html files on your desktop. Both files can be attached to the forum, as is. Please do so in your next reply.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 17 June 2009 - 12:49 AM.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well darn

i guess i didn't do it right.
i went to that cite and downloaded away
and ended up with "manage engine service desk plus"

looked for startup on my program menu... not there.

went back to that same cite and looked all over for "starter" or "code stuff starter" so i could re-do it.
didn't find it.

i do appreciate the help and wish I didn't have to keep asking for more. but it looks like i'm stuck at finding code stuff starter.

thanks

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Attached File  services.html   66.84KB   12 downloadsAttached File  startup.html   5.25KB   13 downloads

hmmm

i don't know what i did wrong last time.. but i did it over and it worked!!

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
You have got two anti-virus programs running. It is best to only run one anti-virus program. Both programs will slow a machine down and limit user activity to install programs to a standing halt.

Removing one of them then trying the install for DirectX again might help.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Have you tried running dxdiag? Try going to start>run>dxdiag

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I'm still betting on the problem being that the Age of Empires Installer wasn't coded to detect newer versions of DirectX and is insisting on installing the older version while Windows refuses to let that happen.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
AOE III needs DirectX 9.0c, but may have trouble.

Cryptographic services tend to get in the way of installation. Sometimes security policy may not be set correctly. Please try the following in order, by Microsoft's solutions.

• http://support.micro....com/kb/822798/ << Follow all steps in the article, under the title: Resolution. Some things in this solution article can be very tough to do, especially for the beginning computer user. If you need any help whatsoever via tutorial, reply back here and we will do tutorials one step at a time to help get your problem resolved. :)
  • Check for Windows Updates, and allow all of them to install. Microsoft does not make it clear on the update website to install Microsoft Update. If you see any Microsoft promo ads on the update website saying "Upgrade to Microsoft Update," then click Go or click on the promo ad. You may need the latest technology of updating software for your computer.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

I'm still betting on the problem being that the Age of Empires Installer wasn't coded to detect newer versions of DirectX and is insisting on installing the older version while Windows refuses to let that happen.

@NeonFX: DirectX 9.0c is the latest version for Windows XP and the Age Of Empires games specs require DirectX 9.0c to be installed before the game can be installed.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK
i have done a lot of things in response to these suggestions.

first regarding the support microsoft 822798 series of methods.. i accomplished all except 7, 9 and the last one (12?) which is called a extreme solution.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK
i have done a lot of things in response to these suggestions.

first regarding the support microsoft 822798 series of methods.. i accomplished all except 7, 9 and the last one (12?) which is called a extreme solution.