Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

maxtor one-touch 4 extHD not recognized & making beeping noise

• Please log in to reply

ghost mutt

ghost mutt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i would really appreciate anyone's help with my issue:

ive had a 500-gig Maxtor One Touch external hard drive for awhile now.
a couple months ago it just flat-out stopped working.

whenever i plug it in and connect it through USB to my laptop, it doesn't get recognized.
this sort of thing happens sometimes i understand.
usually unplugging/rebooting/etc. will do the trick.

but this time around, everytime i plug it in, not only is it not recognized, but it's making this odd muffled beeping sound.
it will beep intermittently for about 5 minutes then it will stop.

when i called for support from maxtor, they told me it sounded like a power supply problem.
so i bought a hard drive USB docking station to see if that did the trick.
nothing doing.
its still making the beeping sound.

this is a very very frustrating issue because i can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone.
i figured the only way i could get an answer was if someone had experienced the same beeping sound.

also im not worried about the actual hard drive so much as a i care about what's on it, which is about 200 gigs of some very rare music that i've spent hours upon hours searching for and collecting.

i'm not too proficient at fiddling around with stuff in startup mode or anything like that.
i can do anything on windows as long as i have directions, so forgive me if i ask relatively simple follow-up questions if you give advice.

if anyone has heard of such a thing, or can tell me if im up the creek, i just want to get some closure on this.

thank you

Advertisements

mmcwright

mmcwright

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey friend~

My Maxtor Onetouch is now doing just what you described. I recently deleted a bunch of the .rdb backup files that had accumulated in there and were eating up tons of space (plus, I use another back up service and didn't need this drive doing that). In any case, did you ever come up with a solution to this, or is this thing kaput? Thanks, and I feel your pain!!