Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7: Problems with restore

• Please log in to reply

guiltyspark

guiltyspark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I'm dealing with pretty basic stuff here. Installing the new RC of windows7 (or trying to).
The install went fine and everything is great, except i saved my entire computer to my external HDD on vista, and I thought I would be able to use the Backup/Restore in 7 to bring all the settings back and everything, yet now in 7, the backup/restore says that it finds no devices from which a backup is found.
my HDD is clearly plugged in and operating fine. The restore just refuses to see that it has a backup on it or something.
Im completely lost and have scoured the web for solutions, but I got nothing.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello guiltyspark...

The problem is that a restore file and a files and settings backup are two very different things.

Windows 7 can't find the files to restore to because there are no Windows 7 backup files on the drive. Vista, on the other hand, would find them just fine.

What you should have done is use the Vista Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save a backup of the Vista files and settings. You could have then used the same application in Windows 7 to integrate them into the Windows 7 installation.

You can use the backup you have to restore Vista on the machine if you need to, however.

wannabe1

guiltyspark

guiltyspark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so ill basically have to reinstall vista, use the backup i have saved in vista. then use a files/settings transfer wizard and put that on my external. and then reinstall 7 after that. and ill be able to transfer my settings and programs and things onto 7. the way i thought i would with backup?
just trying to get everything clear.
thanks for answering btw!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's partially correct.

You'll need to restore Vista and make the files and settings backup using the Wizard (Start orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Windows Easy Transfer).

Then you can install Windows 7, install the programs you use, then use the Windows 7 Transfer Wizard (same place as Vista) to transfer the files and settings.

Unfortunately, when moving from Vista to Win 7, you'll have to install all the programs you use...and should do so before running the transfer...as the actual Programs will not be a part of the transfer.

guiltyspark

guiltyspark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
got it.
thanks so much ill see what happens..