Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios rom checksum error

• Please log in to reply

wth07

wth07

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
think i need a bios flash but not really sure, compaq has a bios update, but the update is larger than the 1.44mb floppy, it prompts to insert in drive A, can not enter bios setup, not familiar with flashing, thanks for looking

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you tell us exactly is happening...is it you can't boot at all...
has it ever booted successfully...
what are your system specs...

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi, trying to fix for a friend, he cant see very well, had many viruses on hard drive, used avira to clean it up, its a compaq S4020WM, model #: DK214A, mobo is FIC AM37, it has, award bootblock bios v1.0 also says bios rom checksum error media detected in drive a insert system disk and press enter, cant enter bios, doesnt get past bootblock, been working on it, I think the bios is corrupt, looked on compaq, theres a bios update but i dont think its what i need, its 1.55mb, my floppy is only 1.44mb, looked on FIC, theres 2 or 3 bios, but not sure if the bios on FIC will work or if it has to be from compaq, also not familiar with creating a autoexec.bat, that it says is required, downloaded drdflash.exe, not sure if thats what i need or not, THANKS for response and any help. yes was working for him, then just quit, tried taking out battery, and jumpers, left 1 of them off, not sure if thats right or not, thanks.

Edited by wth07, 22 June 2009 - 09:59 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this for a bios rom checksum error
A checksum error is an indicator that you have a failed or failing CMOS battery that controls your BIOS....
try removing the motherboard bios battery for a few minutes...if you have a digital multimeter check the voltage of the battery...usually 3 to 3.3 but read yours to be sure..
if removing the battery and plugging it back in fixes the problem your done
or just replace it with a new battery..
The most common type of CMOS battery is CR2032, a round, silver-colored battery about the size of a dime. If your motherboard uses a CR2032, you're in luck. They're inexpensive, easy to replace, and widely available. You can buy one for about $4 at the photo counter of your local drug store, RadioShack, or a local computer repair shop..
the battery you remove will say what the voltage is for your bios ...usually 3 to 3.3 but read yours to be sure..

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi, trying to fix for a friend, he cant see very well, had many viruses on hard drive, used avira to clean it up, its a compaq S4020WM, model #: DK214A, mobo is FIC AM37, it has, award bootblock bios v1.0 also says bios rom checksum error media detected in drive a insert system disk and press enter, cant enter bios, doesnt get past bootblock, been working on it, I think the bios is corrupt, looked on compaq, theres a bios update but i dont think its what i need, its 1.55mb, my floppy is only 1.44mb, looked on FIC, theres 2 or 3 bios, but not sure if the bios on FIC will work or if it has to be from compaq, also not familiar with creating a autoexec.bat, that it says is required, downloaded drdflash.exe, not sure if thats what i need or not, THANKS for response and any help. yes was working for him, then just quit, tried taking out battery, and jumpers, left 1 of them off, not sure if thats right or not, thanks.

as stated in my post, its a bios rom checksum error, its not the same as a cmos checksom, its a corrupt bios, or a bad mobo, tried new battery, etc, what i need help with is the proper bios and flash utility that i need to reflash with, or help creating the diskette that might work. its "AWARD BOOTBLOCK BIOS V1.0" that I have to deal with/recover from. thanks

Edited by wth07, 23 June 2009 - 04:45 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Should all be done in Windows.

http://h10025.www1.h...r...228&lang=en

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi, this pc only wants to except media in drive A, the bios update at compaq is 1.55mb, and the floppy is only 1.44, you think it will correct my award bootblock v1.0, dont know how to make it fit on the floppy, cant access bios setup. thanks

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So when you run the SP.exe, it asks you for a floppy?

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

So when you run the SP.exe, it asks you for a floppy?

not sure what SP.exe is, when i turn on pc, it stops at, award bootblock bios v1.0 copyright © 2000, award software, inc. BIOS ROM checksum error detecting floppy drive A media... INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. thats all it says, cant enter bios setup or nothing. thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
"INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message simply means that the computer is unable to find any form of bootable device. Basically what you need to do now is install an operating system. Most commonly, you'll find one installed onto the hard drive, and again most commonly that's a form of Microsoft Windows (usually XP or Vista).

If your computer did work up until recently when you got this message, then it sounds like the hard drive has failed or become corrupted, and data loss is a high probability. If you aren't 100% sure what you're doing, I strongly suggest you take it to a reputable shop or get someone professional onsite to diagnose and fix you up.

Cheers

Advertisements

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

"INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" message simply means that the computer is unable to find any form of bootable device. Basically what you need to do now is install an operating system. Most commonly, you'll find one installed onto the hard drive, and again most commonly that's a form of Microsoft Windows (usually XP or Vista).

If your computer did work up until recently when you got this message, then it sounds like the hard drive has failed or become corrupted, and data loss is a high probability. If you aren't 100% sure what you're doing, I strongly suggest you take it to a reputable shop or get someone professional onsite to diagnose and fix you up.

Cheers

what about this "award bootblock", everything i ve read, points to corrupt bios and says to reflash the bios, there must be a problem, because i cant get into bios setup, A is the only drive available, i dont see how im going to install an operating system from a 1.44mb floppy, i think fixing the problem is just a matter of procedure. the vision impaired person im trying to fix it for cant afford a tech. the "KEY" is fixing the "BOOTBLOCK" issue. cheers

Edited by wth07, 24 June 2009 - 06:52 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
No, you just need to create a bootable floppy disk. Goto a different machine, format a floppy disk and make sure you make it an MS-DOS boot disk. Copy the files contained in the .exe file i linked to previously and follow the instructions on the Compaq website.

If a reflash does not work, then the BIOS chip needs to be replaced. That involves solder work and usually is more economical to replace the entire board which in this case seems to not be an option.

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

No, you just need to create a bootable floppy disk. Goto a different machine, format a floppy disk and make sure you make it an MS-DOS boot disk. Copy the files contained in the .exe file i linked to previously and follow the instructions on the Compaq website.

If a reflash does not work, then the BIOS chip needs to be replaced. That involves solder work and usually is more economical to replace the entire board which in this case seems to not be an option.

ok, "read carefully" heres what I did, if its wrong, please let me know, on a working pc with xp pro os, I made a ms-dos startup disk, I downloaded the bios file from compaq to the pc, tried to send same file to driva A, heres what it said: the file being copied is to large for the deastination drive. if possible, insert a higher-capacity disk. the diskette is 1.44mb, after making startup disk, used space is 555kb, free space is 868kb, the bios file from compaq is 1.54mb, dont see how its all supposed to fit on one diskette. thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A bios rom checksum error is a corrupted bios rom chip as you have indicated. The chip needs to be flashed (as you, and others have also stated). The following links support that info. The problem being is that the flash utility will not fit on the floppy. The error code and "insert floppy" indicate that there is boot block feature that is looking to recover from the failure by looking for the code in the floppy.
http://www.pcreview....ead-1934599.php
http://www.pcguide.c...ead.php?t=41765

Info from Driverguide.com

If you are using an AMI BIOS, make sure to reboot the system holding the "END" key prior to power on until you enter CMOS setup. E.g. the PT-2200 has AMI BIOS.
If you played with the Flash EPROM Type jumper setting, check that it is set correctly for the EPROM chip installed on your board. Proper settings for some models is given below.
If you've damaged contents of your BIOS chip by using DMI Utility or performing an incomplete BIOS upgrade, you can try the the Boot Block Feature (it's a BIOS feature) to recover your system.
Try using an ISA VGA card and see wether that system will alow you to perform a Boot Block. The boot Block feature allows you to boot at least on Drive "A" for you to Re-program the BIOS using a Flash Utility. Download a BIOS and Flash Utility from our Web Site and try programming your BIOS again.

Steps to restore Boot Block BIOS:

1. Have a bootable diskette (c:> format a:/s) with three files: flash upgrade utility, a BIOS file, AUTOEXEC.BAT containing a line like: flashutility.exe biosfile.ext /Py /Sn

Example:
VL-603, Award BIOS 1.14in12.bin, flash utility flash613.exe:
Add the following line to autoexec.bat (note that /Py /Sn means Program=Yes, Save=No)
flash613 114in12.bin /Py /Sn

2. Boot the system from the bootable diskette containing the three files from Step 1. The system then runs flash utility according to the line in AUTOEXEC.BAT. Note that because Boot Block BIOS is small, it does not support PCI and AGP VGA graphics cards - it supports only ISA VGA cards. If you cannot find an ISA card for this procedure, you'll still be able to complete it, but without seeing anything on the screen.

You can also try to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for at least 2 minutes and try to short the negative and positive side of the battery socket by pressing it downward.

If you still cannot recover the BIOS, try to find a computer or electronics shop (or friend) who's got an EPROM programmer (EPROM burner) that can burn-in a BIOS file into the Flash EPROM chip for you. You will need to supply the old BIOS file (either get a backup file from a floppy or download the last working BIOS from the FIC Web site).

Finally, if you still cannot recover your BIOS, you can try to purchase a new Flash ROM chip (partially remove the sticker

I have a basic idea of what it means, but do not know how to set it up.

I think what you need on a bootable floppy is the awdflash.exe program and the bios flash bin file (such as vlb44.bin). From other info I found, at the command prompt (Reboot on your floppy and this time at the command prompt, type:
awdflash.exe vlb44.bin /py /sy /nbl (enter)
{/nbl is an undocumented switch meaning "No Bios Lock".)

Link to how to use AWDFlash.exe. Also has link to the flash utility. Now all that has to be done is find the "bin" file that is the bios flash.
Bottom line with all of the above.. The bios rom is fubarred/ blown/ no good. I do not know how to say it any other way. You have to restore/ reflash by getting the files on a floppy. If you can find the files, it might work. You have nothing to lose, but time. The only options you have to get the computer to work are to reflash, replace the eeprom, or replace the board.

Links to mirrors to get AWDFlash.exe.

FYI: I have spent almost 2 hours getting the above info together. I personally would replace the board and be done with it.

More info as I sit here thinking. This may or may not work, but.....
Format a floppy to be bootable.
Download the Flash file (sp23966.exe) from the website. (You actually have this). sp23966.exe is a zipped file . You need to unpack the file using Winrar. In the unpacked files you will find am37320.BIN. On the bootable floppy you put the AWDFlash.exe file and the am37320.BIN file

A floppy is made bootable by format a:/s

Boot from the floppy and get to the command prompt.
Type in awdflash.exe am37320.bin /py /sy /nbl

NOTE: All this info is weened from numerous sites. I will not be responcible for it not working. Then again, the board is no good anyways. If the commands do not work, all I can say is maybe remove the spaces between /py, /sy, and /nbl

123runner

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

A bios rom checksum error is a corrupted bios rom chip as you have indicated. The chip needs to be flashed (as you, and others have also stated). The following links support that info. The problem being is that the flash utility will not fit on the floppy. The error code and "insert floppy" indicate that there is boot block feature that is looking to recover from the failure by looking for the code in the floppy.
http://www.pcreview....ead-1934599.php
http://www.pcguide.c...ead.php?t=41765

Info from Driverguide.com

If you are using an AMI BIOS, make sure to reboot the system holding the "END" key prior to power on until you enter CMOS setup. E.g. the PT-2200 has AMI BIOS.
If you played with the Flash EPROM Type jumper setting, check that it is set correctly for the EPROM chip installed on your board. Proper settings for some models is given below.
If you've damaged contents of your BIOS chip by using DMI Utility or performing an incomplete BIOS upgrade, you can try the the Boot Block Feature (it's a BIOS feature) to recover your system.
Try using an ISA VGA card and see wether that system will alow you to perform a Boot Block. The boot Block feature allows you to boot at least on Drive "A" for you to Re-program the BIOS using a Flash Utility. Download a BIOS and Flash Utility from our Web Site and try programming your BIOS again.

Steps to restore Boot Block BIOS:

1. Have a bootable diskette (c:> format a:/s) with three files: flash upgrade utility, a BIOS file, AUTOEXEC.BAT containing a line like: flashutility.exe biosfile.ext /Py /Sn

Example:
VL-603, Award BIOS 1.14in12.bin, flash utility flash613.exe:
Add the following line to autoexec.bat (note that /Py /Sn means Program=Yes, Save=No)
flash613 114in12.bin /Py /Sn

2. Boot the system from the bootable diskette containing the three files from Step 1. The system then runs flash utility according to the line in AUTOEXEC.BAT. Note that because Boot Block BIOS is small, it does not support PCI and AGP VGA graphics cards - it supports only ISA VGA cards. If you cannot find an ISA card for this procedure, you'll still be able to complete it, but without seeing anything on the screen.

You can also try to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for at least 2 minutes and try to short the negative and positive side of the battery socket by pressing it downward.

If you still cannot recover the BIOS, try to find a computer or electronics shop (or friend) who's got an EPROM programmer (EPROM burner) that can burn-in a BIOS file into the Flash EPROM chip for you. You will need to supply the old BIOS file (either get a backup file from a floppy or download the last working BIOS from the FIC Web site).

Finally, if you still cannot recover your BIOS, you can try to purchase a new Flash ROM chip (partially remove the sticker

I have a basic idea of what it means, but do not know how to set it up.

I think what you need on a bootable floppy is the awdflash.exe program and the bios flash bin file (such as vlb44.bin). From other info I found, at the command prompt (Reboot on your floppy and this time at the command prompt, type:
awdflash.exe vlb44.bin /py /sy /nbl (enter)
{/nbl is an undocumented switch meaning "No Bios Lock".)

Link to how to use AWDFlash.exe. Also has link to the flash utility. Now all that has to be done is find the "bin" file that is the bios flash.
Bottom line with all of the above.. The bios rom is fubarred/ blown/ no good. I do not know how to say it any other way. You have to restore/ reflash by getting the files on a floppy. If you can find the files, it might work. You have nothing to lose, but time. The only options you have to get the computer to work are to reflash, replace the eeprom, or replace the board.

Links to mirrors to get AWDFlash.exe.

FYI: I have spent almost 2 hours getting the above info together. I personally would replace the board and be done with it.

More info as I sit here thinking. This may or may not work, but.....
Format a floppy to be bootable.
Download the Flash file (sp23966.exe) from the website. (You actually have this). sp23966.exe is a zipped file . You need to unpack the file using Winrar. In the unpacked files you will find am37320.BIN. On the bootable floppy you put the AWDFlash.exe file and the am37320.BIN file

A floppy is made bootable by format a:/s

Boot from the floppy and get to the command prompt.
Type in awdflash.exe am37320.bin /py /sy /nbl

NOTE: All this info is weened from numerous sites. I will not be responcible for it not working. Then again, the board is no good anyways. If the commands do not work, all I can say is maybe remove the spaces between /py, /sy, and /nbl

123runner

THANKS 123Runner, EXELENT INFO., just a quick question, before I try it, should I put /SB to save bootblock, I read that if I dont I could lose any way to recover, if it doesnt work. again THANKS for the GREAT info.