Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios rom checksum error

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You do not have any way to recover now, so I guess anything you do will not hurt.

The computer won't boot now due to a blown bios, so nothing else you do will make it worse.

Advertisements

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

A bios rom checksum error is a corrupted bios rom chip as you have indicated. The chip needs to be flashed (as you, and others have also stated). The following links support that info. The problem being is that the flash utility will not fit on the floppy. The error code and "insert floppy" indicate that there is boot block feature that is looking to recover from the failure by looking for the code in the floppy.
http://www.pcreview....ead-1934599.php
http://www.pcguide.c...ead.php?t=41765

Info from Driverguide.com

If you are using an AMI BIOS, make sure to reboot the system holding the "END" key prior to power on until you enter CMOS setup. E.g. the PT-2200 has AMI BIOS.
If you played with the Flash EPROM Type jumper setting, check that it is set correctly for the EPROM chip installed on your board. Proper settings for some models is given below.
If you've damaged contents of your BIOS chip by using DMI Utility or performing an incomplete BIOS upgrade, you can try the the Boot Block Feature (it's a BIOS feature) to recover your system.
Try using an ISA VGA card and see wether that system will alow you to perform a Boot Block. The boot Block feature allows you to boot at least on Drive "A" for you to Re-program the BIOS using a Flash Utility. Download a BIOS and Flash Utility from our Web Site and try programming your BIOS again.

Steps to restore Boot Block BIOS:

1. Have a bootable diskette (c:> format a:/s) with three files: flash upgrade utility, a BIOS file, AUTOEXEC.BAT containing a line like: flashutility.exe biosfile.ext /Py /Sn

Example:
VL-603, Award BIOS 1.14in12.bin, flash utility flash613.exe:
Add the following line to autoexec.bat (note that /Py /Sn means Program=Yes, Save=No)
flash613 114in12.bin /Py /Sn

2. Boot the system from the bootable diskette containing the three files from Step 1. The system then runs flash utility according to the line in AUTOEXEC.BAT. Note that because Boot Block BIOS is small, it does not support PCI and AGP VGA graphics cards - it supports only ISA VGA cards. If you cannot find an ISA card for this procedure, you'll still be able to complete it, but without seeing anything on the screen.

You can also try to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for at least 2 minutes and try to short the negative and positive side of the battery socket by pressing it downward.

If you still cannot recover the BIOS, try to find a computer or electronics shop (or friend) who's got an EPROM programmer (EPROM burner) that can burn-in a BIOS file into the Flash EPROM chip for you. You will need to supply the old BIOS file (either get a backup file from a floppy or download the last working BIOS from the FIC Web site).

Finally, if you still cannot recover your BIOS, you can try to purchase a new Flash ROM chip (partially remove the sticker

I have a basic idea of what it means, but do not know how to set it up.

I think what you need on a bootable floppy is the awdflash.exe program and the bios flash bin file (such as vlb44.bin). From other info I found, at the command prompt (Reboot on your floppy and this time at the command prompt, type:
awdflash.exe vlb44.bin /py /sy /nbl (enter)
{/nbl is an undocumented switch meaning "No Bios Lock".)

Link to how to use AWDFlash.exe. Also has link to the flash utility. Now all that has to be done is find the "bin" file that is the bios flash.
Bottom line with all of the above.. The bios rom is fubarred/ blown/ no good. I do not know how to say it any other way. You have to restore/ reflash by getting the files on a floppy. If you can find the files, it might work. You have nothing to lose, but time. The only options you have to get the computer to work are to reflash, replace the eeprom, or replace the board.

Links to mirrors to get AWDFlash.exe.

FYI: I have spent almost 2 hours getting the above info together. I personally would replace the board and be done with it.

More info as I sit here thinking. This may or may not work, but.....
Format a floppy to be bootable.
Download the Flash file (sp23966.exe) from the website. (You actually have this). sp23966.exe is a zipped file . You need to unpack the file using Winrar. In the unpacked files you will find am37320.BIN. On the bootable floppy you put the AWDFlash.exe file and the am37320.BIN file

A floppy is made bootable by format a:/s

Boot from the floppy and get to the command prompt.
Type in awdflash.exe am37320.bin /py /sy /nbl

NOTE: All this info is weened from numerous sites. I will not be responcible for it not working. Then again, the board is no good anyways. If the commands do not work, all I can say is maybe remove the spaces between /py, /sy, and /nbl

123runner

THANKS 123Runner, EXELENT INFO., just a quick question, before I try it, should I put /SB to save bootblock, I read that if I dont I could lose any way to recover, if it doesnt work. again THANKS for the GREAT info.

ok, tried lots of ms-dos boot disks, made from pc with xp pro, trying to fix pc with xp home, tried and retried CAN NOT get an A:> prompt after putting floppy in, at sys. start, I get 1 long beep, about 2-3 seconds long, read that it might be bad memory stick, the guy at the shop said it was good, wonder if he lied, just like plumbers, some can't be trusted, lol. THANKS for the help, also tried autoexe.bat, with several different switch combos, none have worked, might not have correct switches, can't understand why it won't respond, seems like I should be able to recover, bootblock is a safety feature right? THANKS, still not sure if th floppys are bootable, in your post, it says: to make floppy bootable: format a:/s when I make the disk on xp pro, my only options are: quick format or create an ms-dos startup disk.

Edited by wth07, 28 June 2009 - 07:53 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go to BootDisk .Com for any boot disk you want.

You can also check the memory by using http://<strong class...span></strong>/ and burning an iso file with Burncdcc (from my signature).

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Go to BootDisk .Com for any boot disk you want.

You can also check the memory by using http://<strong class...span></strong>/ and burning an iso file with Burncdcc (from my signature).

I got drdflash.exe from bootdisk.com, tried it couldn't get it to work, you mean I can check the memory if the pc won't go past post?, screen is frozen at bootblock, drdflash might not be the right one, not sure, looks like this things beat me. THANKS

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Memtest86 will boot from the CD you prepared and run from that.

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Memtest86 will boot from the CD you prepared and run from that.

its a floppy that I prepared, thats what the bootblock articles I read instructed to do, but maybe a cd will work, I'll have to try to figure out how to make 1.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You asked about testing memory. I think we are a little off track. You need to get past bootlock.

Memtest86 is a complete different program to allow you to test memory. It will run from a CD or floppy depending how you download it.

at sys. start, I get 1 long beep, about 2-3 seconds long, read that it might be bad memory stick, the guy at the shop said it was good,

This why we got off track to the memory issue.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
who makes your bios ...forgive me if you may have already posted this info but I really don't want to have to read the whole topic

The steps of a POST....Power-On Self-Test

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. Below is the common steps a POST performs each time your computer starts.

1. Test the power supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
3. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
4. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
5. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
6. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
7. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
8. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM.

If the computer does not pass any of the above tests, your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is a beep code that is different from the standard one or two beeps. This could be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

who makes your bios ...forgive me if you may have already posted this info but I really don't want to have to read the whole topic

The steps of a POST....Power-On Self-Test

Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. Below is the common steps a POST performs each time your computer starts.

1. Test the power supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
2. CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
3. BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
4. CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
5. CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
6. The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
7. I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
8. I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM.

If the computer does not pass any of the above tests, your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is a beep code that is different from the standard one or two beeps. This could be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.

whats up happy?, ok, just the facts: the bios is award bios, pretty sure its v6.0, thats what I see for all the other compaq S4020WM, product #: DK214A, mobo is FIC AM37, have a whole list of specs. here: bios: eeprom 2 Mbit. I think it said bios guardian hotkey, no clue what that is, chipset: VIA KM266 VIA VT8235. socket-A(PGA462). flash bios device Xbus 2 Mbit. Super I/O: ITE-IT8705F. now heres what I think the biggest problem is: can not get past: Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0. the pc is stuck there, looks like it will be forever. thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
While it *may* be fixable, my money is on that the motherboard is absolutely wasted and needs to be replaced. (never had to actually deal with this problem myself)

Troy

Advertisements

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
probably is, funny tho, it lights up, beeps, fans spin, when I take out the ram, I get the ram beep code, keyboard lights up, when I try it w/out keyboard hooked up, I get a no keyboard detected, just can't get past that f%#kin bootblock. read about a shorting technique but didnt quite understand it.

Edited by wth07, 29 June 2009 - 10:03 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried an email or call to compaq to see what they say?
Ok, so now you can stop laughing about that suggestion. :)

It might be time to replace the board or :)

Its a shame that Compaq has a built in save bios function and we are unable to get it to work.

123runner

wth07

wth07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
you ever hear of this: bios guardian hotkey, maybe it's stopping the flash attempts, I'm stumped. THANKS

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Found This.

BIOS Guardian is enabled by default. The BIOS Guardian protects the system from computer viruses, acting as a fire-wall against virues that can attack the BIOS while the system is running. Consequently, users must disable the BIOS Guardian before reflashing the BIOS or making changes to it.. Please reboot the system and holding the "DEL" key prior to power on until you enter CMOS setup screen , go to Advanced BIOS Features and select BIOS Guardian option to disable or enable. After successfully updating the new BIOS, I recommend to enabling BIOS Guardian for added virus protection

Boot Block Emergency Recovery Mode from HP

http://www.motherboa...gs-t191072.html Something to try????

CMOS and Bios error

EDIT: And yet more info. This looks a little more basic and easier to follow. BIOS Faq

Edited by 123Runner, 29 June 2009 - 12:03 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
More good info on flashing the bios.
Bios Update How to
Boot Block recovery. This one talks about "Dos-Freak's excellent Boot block BIOS boot loader utility to bypass the award boot block and force a Dos prompt"

EDIT: Added info below

This one took awhile, but I found the manual. You need to turn off Bios Guardian before you can flash the bios. Interesting because you need to get into the bios to turn it off and you can't do that. This is whats called "going in circles".
FIC AM 37 manual. I had to use the link to Taiwan.

Edited by 123Runner, 29 June 2009 - 01:13 PM.