Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up access point help.

• Please log in to reply

bwjudy

bwjudy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am working on setting up a linksys wap200 on a network already up with 5 zyxel g-3000h access points running. They asked me to set up the linksys access point as a favor, and I’m not that technology savvy. For some reason I cannot get the AP to run and communicate with the router, and combine settings to run with the network. I followed the instructions, used a static IP and logged into the router. I’m not sure which settings to modify in the AP to get it to work as an AP. The server IP is 10.1.10.1, same with DNS server. The security password for the network is only 5 letters, lets say “point”. The MAC address is 00:13:49:9D:92:72 running on channel 3.

Do I need to set the AP as a static IP or DHCP? If static, for local IP address do I use a unique IP on the network? Do I set it up as a Access Point or Wireless Repeater? Do I need to use the MAC address of the router and same channel? Do I change the SSID to the same name as the network? Do I need in wireless security to use the same mode and password as the current network? If so, the 5 letter “point” password is not an acceptable length. Can I get around that? Do I want SSID broadcast enabled or disabled?

Any questions I need to answer I will be happy to comply.

Thanks,

Wayne

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless access points simply connect to an existing network via a network port and can typically be set up for fixed IP or DHCP - ie from the router depending on the existing network configuration.
All you're basically doing with a wireless access point is expanding the coverage as that's all they do. You fall out of range of one unit and your laptop simply hot-jumps to another access point. If you drive along and a mobile phone is in use (hopefully not by you if you're driving :)) when the phone falls out of the range of one transmitter it logs onto the nearest one. It's the same idea.

The IP you need depends on the current configuration. Now we cannot answer that, however if the access point doesn't get an IP on its own it means the network is static and you'll need to assign it one depending on the range chosen and what numbers have already gone.

MAC addresses may be needed to add to the router's list if such an option is already in use otherwise it won't connect no matter what you do.

SSID - for the hot-jump it would need to be the same as the existing access points otherwise it defeats the whole point of having them.
SSID Broadcast disabled can be more secure but you need to know it's there before it'll connect. Easier to leave it on.