Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD video card

• Please log in to reply

tomgreg2008

tomgreg2008

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. I'm planning on building a computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. I'd like to be able to watch HD videos.
What is the best video card that I can get with this motherboard?
Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello. I'm planning on building a computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. I'd like to be able to watch HD videos.
What is the best video card that I can get with this motherboard?
Thanks.

Really is no best video card out just for videos but it all depends on your price range and if you play any type of games at all. If you play any games what are some of the names.

You can get a Cheap HD video card for $100 that will do what you are wanting or you can get a $200-$400 video card but is that really necessary NO. The higher priced video cards are for hardcore gamers in mind that want higher FPS in intensive games.

tomgreg2008

tomgreg2008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of using the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3
video card. I'll be doing essentially no gaming. (Gave it up a few years back as I spent to much time
doing it...!) My main interest is quality HD video. Thanks.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of using the EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3
video card. I'll be doing essentially no gaming. (Gave it up a few years back as I spent to much time
doing it...!) My main interest is quality HD video. Thanks.

That will be more than adequate for just videos and a good pick, you can save a little by going with something like the ATI HD 4850 video card. I just built my dad a system today and I used that video card, he plays no games and just does business and rarely any videos and that is more than he will ever need lol.

The nvidia gtx 260 has more ram on the card but that is not necessary for just videos.

$109 for an ati 4850 512mb VS $165 for cheapest gtx 260 core 216 896mb.
Your pick and both good cards. It is always good to buy a little more than needed but since you don't play any games it doesn't hurt to save a few bucks either. If you played games though Id probably recommend something above the gtx 260 as I tell gamers to get the most card they can afford.

GL :)

oh and the pc I built today was:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
Gskill 4gb ddr3
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770
corsair 650 PSU
Samsung DVD burner
Samsung 500gb sata HD
Thermaltake Element S case
XFX HD 4850 512MB

I have built several computers lately with the Gigabyte ga-ma770t-ud3p mobo and they are rock solid
and very affordable.