Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont start.

• Please log in to reply

Shwartzman

Shwartzman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi my first post,

well my problem has to do with my PC not starting when i click the power button. only after i have turned the power switch on the power suply on and off does it start up. this happens only after the comp has been off over night or for longer periods of time.

I recently formated and put windows XP on one partion for itself and installed all drivers on that partition. but for some reson now the PC wont start without a little help.

I talked to some friends and they said it might be that the powersupply is defective(not likely, it was woprking jsut fine before the format), or that i overclocked my CPU and that its not working properly, or that maybe the RAM memory or the harddisk controller. but im lost in all this talk. so i wanted to know if you can recomend anything for me to do besides going and taking the PC to a shop and having it fixed.

thx for the help.......

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Reset your cmos
Be sure to check ALL JUMPER SETTINGS
Check tosee if a sufficient amount of power is being fed to the mobo.

You comp is starting but not staying on? Do you get to your bios? Try taking unnessecary things out (sound card, NIC card) and boot with just the essentals. You might have a short or a connector is occasionly touching your case and shorting the comp out

Please post your computer specs and I'll help you out :tazz:

David

Shwartzman

Shwartzman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thx for the reply. pc boots up and all but the way i hafto start it is makeing me worry. i need to switch the power switch on and off and then it starts up. it loads windows does everything well runs for as long as i want ti to but then after its off for some time it wont start up without me having to do the power supply on and off sswitching....

specs:

P4 3.2Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9600
DVD/R/RW

hafto get back to you on the rest of the "important" info

Edited by Shwartzman, 11 May 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Most likely by switching the psu on and off you are resetting it, some psu's have a circut breaker in them that trips when they are overloaded or get to hot. You mentioned that the computer runs fine otherwise so this breaker may not be working properly. Everytime I have seen this the psu eventually dies, I mean dead does not power on, It never hurt any other component when I have seen this happen.

It has nothing to do with the format but you could post your voltages either from bios or your monitoring software and we can have a quick look.

Rick

Shwartzman

Shwartzman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What software do you recomend to do the monitoring with? i dont know how to do it through BIOS and id ont have a monitoring software.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Usually there is monitoring software on the cd that came with your motherboard so check that out.

You could also install Everest its free and will give you the voltages plus alot of other usefull info about your computer

Rick