Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

Brian777

Brian777

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i have a gateway 550gr my pc has been having problems lately where i would turn it on and it would take like 20 minutes to start up to where i could click on anything, then it would stay on for about 20 minutes then a blue screen full of numbers would pop up then after a while the screen would go black and reads something like select boot drive or insert boot disk. well now im stuck on a black screen that shows like
serial number
intel pentium 4 cpu 3.20ghz
ddr-400 operating in dual channel memory mode
total installed memory: 512mb sustem ram
legacy keyboard.......detected
usb legacy..........enabled
atapi cd-rom 3m-_nec dvd_rw nd 2510a
atapi cd-rom 3s-lite-on cd-rom ltn-487t
usb mass storage device: seagate freeagent
error 106
press f4 to run setup

and that sends me to the bios setup screen any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Do you have your windows xp cd?

If you do, insert it into your optical drive and restart the computer, letting it boot up. If it doesn't boot up the disk, move to your BIOS settings again and change the drive to the first priority boot. Then restart.
  • If you don't have a recovery cd, you can make one:
  • You will need a blank CD-r, from any local department store. Maybe you have one already.
  • Download Windows Recovery Console here.
  • Download, and install Imgburn from my sig.
  • Install Imgburn onto your computer. You can choose No when it asks to check for a new version, the older one will work fine.
  • Using Imgburn, Choose "Write Image file to disk". Choose the folder Icon with a magnifying glass to choose your windows recovery console ISO. When ready, burn the ISO to the disk, choosing the large "Iso file to cd" button on the bottom.
  • When complete, close Imgburn and all other applications. Restart your computer.
  • Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    (Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.)
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:
    chkdsk /r
  • Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Hope this helps,

Jason

Brian777

Brian777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont have a windows xp cd my pc came with a gateway recovery disk that will erase my data if i use it. i really want to save my files from it if i can.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
It won't delete your files. :) Just fix the disk errors.

Brian777

Brian777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
COOL I WILL TRY IT

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Error 106 is a track 0 error, which is a part of the hard drive. Is your machine still under warranty? This is a problem with the hard drive itself, not the operating system.

Brian777

Brian777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried it and the cd didnt even run, the same screen popped up that says press f4 to setup, for the bios screen.

Brian777

Brian777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
is it fixable? i would like to get my files off it.