Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big problem!

• Please log in to reply

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, first of all, this is my setup:

Processor(s): AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+
Memory: 2024MB DDR2
Hard Drive: (160GB) 3GB/s SATA
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256MB
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio Output (7.1)
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)
Motherboard: ASUS M2N MX SE Plus
PSU: Hiper 350W
Monitor: ACER AC713 (VGA Output)

Right, my big stinking problem with my other computer is that I had just put my new graphics card in on Friday and earlier today around 4PM I was playing Call of Duty 4 when when I finished playing the "Bog" mission with "Warpig", my system just cut it's self off and restarted, when this happened, for a split second I spotted a blue-screen and so I continued to log on and no matter what I clicked on, I had the "Send error report" or "Don't send" popup. I restarted and the problem persisted, I did a virus scan and 33 viruses showed up, I deleted all of them but the problem persisted asthough the viruses were still on my machine, so what I did was a HDD reformat, which was successful, but when I was installing my Windows XP Home Edition, my system restarted it's self again half-way through and, the worst thing I wanted to come across at that point showed, the "Blue screen of death"! So I called my uncle who is in my mind, quite a computer expert, and is also the guy who built my system, he recomended me to plug the Monitor-Computer VGA wire into my motherboard rather than my GPU just until I've installed all my stuff, and then to plug it back into the graphics card, so I did as he said but now another problem occured, my monitor wouldn't recognise the computer thus having an orange light rather than the working-green light... So since then I've just given up on it until he come's to my house, or until someone on these forums helps. I'm in really desperate need for guidance right now so if anyone who understands this issue can help me then that would be awesome!

Thanks alot in advance,

CoySpooksDust

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to geeks to go... :)

with your computer shutdown I would remove your video card for now...

Now I would look down on the left side of the battery on the motherboard (MOBO)

There should be a small jumper to clear the RTC RAM
1.Turn off the computer and unplug it...
2.Remove the battery from the MOBO
3.remove the jumper from pin 1-2 and place on pin 2-3 for about 5~10sec... Then place the jumper back on the 1-2 pins
4.place the battery back in the MOBO
5.Plug the computer back in
6. Boot into the Bios by striking the DEL key during the boot and set time date and restore default settings... then press F10 and save the changes

Let me know if your computer is working properly...

Good luck

Cbarnard

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, thanks alot for the help, I have setup my computer now although I can't get my
Virgin Media 10Mb/s "High-Speed Internet"
. Now I'm sure this this isn't really a big issue but I know I can't get it back myself, anyone here able to help me would be great...

Thanks alot in advance,

CoySpooksDust

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Congrats good to see you have got it up and running...

lets see if there are any errors with your drivers

Click the windows button - pause\break like (ctrl-alt-del)
then click on the hardware tab
Then on the popup window click device manager...
Scroll down to the network device are there any exclamation points or question marks.
either way let me know

good luck

Cbarnard

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Right, I've fixed the internet now but I've got yet another problem, my computer is restarting it's self although it's only been doing this since I did a HDD Re-format. Can anyone help me for this one please?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
What fixed your internet?

Is there a pattern to when you computer shuts down?

What what are you doing when it shuts down?

Is there a BSOD before it shuts down?

Are there any error warnings?

Is the tower clean and free of dust and dirt... Overheating can be an issue here...

what size HDD do you have and how much free space is there? How many HDD's are installed?

Did you reformat them when you reinstalled?

if not they could be infected and will need attention in our malware forum... go through the cleaning guide and then post a new topic in the forum... I won't be able to help you further if this is the case... But once you are declared clean by one of our experts then I can continue to assist you...

Viruses can cause these problems and I'm not experienced enough to deal with them if you are infected...

If your HDD were reformated or there isn't an "extra HDD's" installed at all after your reinstall you can disregard the above direction.

Good luck

Cbarnard

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

What fixed your internet?

Sorry, wasn't concentrating when I posted that, it's not fixed.

Is there a pattern to when you computer shuts down?

I'm not sure, it's only reset it's self once since the HDD format, ever-since I've just left it alone until my uncle comes again.

What what are you doing when it shuts down?

Just, nothing, fiddling with internet explorer to try and get it back online.

Is there a BSOD before it shuts down?

No...

Are there any error warnings?

No, it just shuts off randomly and then starts up again.

Is the tower clean and free of dust and dirt...

I seriously doubt that though, these problems have only occured since I did a hard-drive reformat.

Overheating can be an issue here...

Well, I had only been on the computer for 30 minutes!

what size HDD do you have and how much free space is there? How many HDD's are installed?

160GB 3GB/s Serial-ATA, only one hard-drive.

Did you reformat them when you reinstalled?

I don't understand that question sir, could you explain a little more please?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Check the System log in the Event Viewer at the point when the machine restarts and post any errors that show up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply