Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to reformat 2nd harddrive but says to quit disk utilities even

• Please log in to reply

rocco1005

rocco1005

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It is my other internal hard drive that i dont do anything on, it is from my other PC that died on me and when i try to format it to erase everything it says that it cant do it and that i need to quit all disk utilities first. Nothing is open on that drive, i dont even think anything would be running in the background on it. Since it was taken from another PC it does have the Windows files still so maybe that is causing the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Are you able to view any of the contents on the drive?

If so, try getting a 3rd Part Software that'll format the drive for you.

rocco1005

rocco1005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
yes i can view the contents and open the folders, i just want it cleaned out so i can put all of my music on it. is there any freeware i can use to do this?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi Rocco1005,

Here is a good 3rd party solution that will erase the drive for you.

Once you download the file, extract the contents to your desktop. (WinRar if needed to extract the contents)

Insert a blank CD then click Iso-Burner.

The software will create a bootable cd that will allow you to securely erase any data on the drive you choose.

Be sure to set the BIOS of the machine to boot from CD.

rocco1005

rocco1005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thank you very much, great help!