Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager Invisible

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I am on a computer that I have just started working with. It's a Compaq Presario 6000. When I attempt to pull up the task manager, it never appears. The option to click on it is enabled, but when I click on it, it never comes up.?? Any suggestions on how to fix this? THANK YOU!

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey there shaly77,

Don't quite understand the problem..

When I attempt to pull up the task manager, it never appears.

How are you trying to pull it up? Ctrl+Alt+Del? Have you tried Start > Run > taskmgr.exe

The option to click on it is enabled, but when I click on it, it never comes up

?? Post a screenshot if you can - will help me understand if you can't word it. If you don't know how to post a screeny, read this.

Jason :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well, generally I pull it up by right-clicking on the task bar and there's an option for Task Manager. The option is there but it doesn't open the task manager window. I have also tried control+alt+delete. And I have tried start>run>taskman.exe. I tried your version just now. taskmgr.exe and it said it couldn't find that.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Alright, as I see you have gone through the malware forum, it could have been deleted during the fixes.. We can put it back I'm sure, just make sure it isn't there.

MANUALLY search through windows folders to check. Its normal spot is Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe. If it isn't there I'll find out how to put it back. If it is there, try double clicking it. It could just be corrupted.

Note: I doubt this will work, as the others didn't.. But another shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

Jason :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try this as well

Download to your desktop "FixPolicies.exe", a self-extracting ZIP archive from HERE.

Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd
A black box will briefly appear and then close.
Reboot the computer so the changes can take affect.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Another suggestion.. :)

Kelly's Korner always has good tips and tricks..
Check out lines 51 and 275.

Edited by OpenOutcome, 21 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok guys...wait a second. I looked in windows folder and found taskman. Now, there is alot of stuff in that folder and the names of some of them are in BLUE font while others are in black font. Why is that? TASKMAN is in blue, by the way. I double-clicked on the icon....NOTHING. I right-clicked and selected OPEN, still nothing. So...do the FixPolicies thing then?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Yes, try that. If it doesn't work, there are plenty of other fixes to try. Keep us updated :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK...I'm fixing to try it, but do you know why the font was blue on some of the icons and black on others? What is the significance of the blue?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
A lot of times, important system files are portrayed in different fonts.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

why the font was blue on some of the icons and black on others? What is the significance of the blue?

The significance of the blue is compressed files.

You have a damaged Windows file. It seems as if Task Manager is corrupt.

Do you have your XP disk? If so follow these steps to do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It's still asking for CD, and I don't have it. I changed the value of source path from D to C and restarted computer, but it is still asking for CD. ????

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I tried the Kelly's Corner method, but when I went to change it to this configuration:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000

there was no SYSTEM under POLICIES! ??????

Edited by shaly777, 22 June 2009 - 07:59 AM.
removed log

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK...I did a system restore, and task manager still doesn't work, but now when I attempt to access it, I see a black box appear and disappear quickly with the heading "Task Manager". I have made out the small writing in box window to say:
"Program too big for memory"

Any ideas?