Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heur/virut virus-cant remove from system files [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

helsi85

helsi85

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I did a virus scan, using the free avg8, I found that my laptop is riddled with virut and mostly heur virus in a lot of my files. I performed a scan using avg8 and superantispyware but after the reboot avg shield guard still tells me about heus being picked up on my laptop, but the only option I have is to ignore the warning because it is 'white-listed' because its in the system32 folder so it cannot remove/heal infection. What can I do? I've noticed in other topics that people should run combo fix and post the results. I've tried this, but I get a warning message saying "contents of combo fix package has been compromised. you may be infected with a file patching virus (virut). So I'm completely stuck. I don't want to take my laptop to the shop I got it from, they'll probably just wipe everything and I'll still be left with the virus, from what I've already read online. Help! The issue is affecting which websites I can view and avg will no longer update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hels

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
hi

You are infected with a polymorphic file infector. This infection can and will infect all the machine's executable files .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html. Because there are a number of bugs in its code, it may create executable files that are corrupted beyond repair resulting in an inoperative machine.

Malware experts say that a Complete Reformat and Reinstall is the only way to clean the infection. This includes All Drives that contain .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html files.
  • Backup all your documents and important items only.
  • DO NOT backup any executable files (,exe .scr .html or .htm)
  • Do Not back up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that may contain .exe or .scr files
  • Reformat and Reinstall as outlined HERE

I suggest you do the following immediately:
  • Call all of your banks, credit card companies, financial institutions and inform them that you may be a victim of identity theft and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.
  • From a clean computer, change *all* your online passwords -- for email, for banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, any online forums or groups you belong to.
  • DO NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because the attacker will get the new passwords and transaction information.

helsi85

helsi85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When i turned on my laptop it wouldn't log on, saying it had failed to initialise logon. I took the laptop to the shop i got it from and they updated the bios on it. I'm now able to update my antivirus and go on antivirus websites ?(i couldn't before). I'm hoping that means the virus is gone. I'm running another virus scan now just in case! What do you guys reckon? Will my laptop be ok now so long as the avg finds nothing?

any help is greatly appreciated

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Nope the malware will still be there

Has to be formatted

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.