Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OK - I officially HATE Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

joeybach

joeybach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi and Help; :)

I have had the following problem with MSN messenger (now Windows Live Messenger = WLM) for months.

I will try to list all the symptoms that I know of and perhaps you Diagnostic Guru's can help me get to the bottom of this.

I am constantly getting this Error Code: 80191002 (or sometimes 81000306)

When ever I get these codes - no amount of "trouble shooting" helps. The only temporary solution is to re-boot my system.

Whenever I do reboot my system after such an error code - I always loose the User Name in the sign-in window even tho I always carefully check the "Save User Name" box.

I have tried to upgrade repair and re-install after un-installing WLM many times - all from good and reliable sources. It doesnt ever help - eventually the dreaded 80191002 always returns.

I have and DO use Ccleaner.

Note: by "using" Ccleaner I mean that I ONLY use it to clean and remove the following items {I do not use it to tweek the registry as I firmly believe this is useless at best and generally harmful}

These are the ONLY items I sweep and clean using Ccleaner:

temporary internet files
cookies
history
recently typed URLs
index.dat files
last download location
autocomplete form history
recent docs
run(in start menu)
Search Auto complete
other explorer MRUs
empty recycle Bin
temorary files
clipboard
memory dumps
chkdsk file fragments
windows log files

{Complete list}

Possibly related:
When using multiple windows - many times they act "tired" (my description) meaning: desired pop-up windows and links do not load completely. When this happens I "need to" close explorer - run Ccleaner and reopen explorer.

Sometimes this doesnt help either and I need to re-boot the system.

Possibly related:
I have discussed an apparent temporary dissconnect from my internet server for a short time - ususally just a few minutes - My Server tech tells me this can happen because my server is switching its own provider (?)

But when I loose internet connection like this, even when I re-connect - it always produces the above error messages in WLM.

Any ideas? This is getting REALLY frustrating!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there isn't much that can be done to solve the issue. At least for a temp work around, try using Trillian as a IM alertantive to the LWM client.

-temp disconnect from internet server
who provides your internet service? could you elaborate a bit more here?

joeybach

joeybach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So you are saying you recognize this problem and there is NO direct solution? :)

The disconnect description was just a clue or symptom to help define the problem. In the course of the day I notice my connection to the internet may stop for a few seconds (I see all programs which are dependent on the internet stop working {gmail bitlord WLM explorer etc} but if I just wait a few minutes they all eventually reconnect by themselves. All EXCEPT for WLM which always produces the above error messages.

Is there a way to receive an email when you guys answer this?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes, but it depends on the internet connection details that I requested earlier. This seems to be the source of multiple issues. Without this info, it is difficult to advise further.

joeybach

joeybach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am not exactly sure what you are asking I have a server here which supplies me with an ADSL line - it is always connected to 3 computers in my home one by cable one by wireless and one by Home PNA Does that help?

BTW I just installed a different language version of WLM and so far so good. I will be hoping for the best.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
hmmm.... ok. after querying your ip address, that makes a lot of sense. Certain language issues can cause odd issues at times. please let us know how it goes.

joeybach

joeybach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok so I am now reporting and letting you all know how it went.

DEPRESSING!!! :)

Changing WLM from english to a different language format worked like a charm for a few days and then BOOM - the dreaded "80191002" message returns again - at which point the only temporary solution is to reboot the computer each and every time (Which is a PAIN to do!! Especially if you want to communicate with someone quickly)

I cannot believe I am the only person with this problem and / or there is no solution to this problem. Can NOTHING be done?

You suggested using trillion as an alternate client but can I show pictures through trillion?

On a perhaps related (or unrelated) issue. I still need to close my explorer and re-open it quite often because some very desired pop-up windows just do not load completely (showing "unknown zone") as if they are tired (my description). Any ideas?

:)

Edited by joeybach, 12 July 2009 - 07:04 AM.

joeybach

joeybach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Any chance for an answer to my last post?

Edited by joeybach, 15 July 2009 - 09:52 PM.