Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Alarms at 230am

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
For a solid back up I am looking at tape, well the iomega rev tape system with the highest compression for a SATA connection that I have found so far. It is 70/140 native and 240 compressed.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You could also use a hot swappable SATA SAS array :)

If 240GB if enough for your dailies, then thats probably your best bet. I would recommend investigating other options besides Retrospect though.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I wouldn't know of any other back up medium to use other than external hard drives, or off site data centers. Right now I have roughly 70-80GB that is backed up daily on my secondary workstation that has 2 TB of space right now, but that only holds so much before I need to either determine it is safe to delete some of the older backups.

I am anticipating within the next year for the backup to jump from 70-80 to about 140-150 a day. I am going to have to sit down and really plan out my data solution for the next few years so I am not forced to get more hardware or upgrade again in a few years.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Planning is always important, it will save you money in the long run. You could even use LTO tapes if you ever need more space, the newest being LTO3 with storage of 400/800.