Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RECYCLER

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I've recently got into the good habit of performing regular backups to a 1TB external HDD.

My system consists of 2 internal hard drvies - one for system & programs, the other for media files - they are labelled C & D repectively.

Whilst montiroing a recent backup, I was waiting for it to finish (it went thruogh all of C, thenalphabetically through D0.

At the end of this, I expected it to finish but it then staretd to bacukp a folder called RECYCLER, with a D:Z prefix - i.e. D:\RECYCLER

This folder seems to be a complete copy of Windows, contains thousands of files but I can't locate it anywhere through searching, or any other emans.

Any ideas how to locate this? Hopefully with a view to deleting the contents.

Edited by Jonesey, 22 June 2009 - 10:29 AM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The RECYCLER folder is the Recycle Bin

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
But my Recycle bin - the one on the desktop - is empty.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It should be in the root of your C: or D: drive.

To see the folder you need to open up My Computer, click on Tools, and then Folder Options.
In the View tab select:
Show hidden files and folders
Deselect:
Hide Protected Operating System Files

Look for the RECYCLER folder and tell us the contents inside.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks edge.

Unprotected the system folders, and this recycler folder now shows up through Explorer etc.

In this folder are 8 entries - all but one of the is minute - 85 bytes.

The other one has got 19,129 files in it amounting to 2.41Gb

It won't let me double click to display the files, but from memory when doing the backup, it contained practically a full copy of Windows, with entries for system32, dllcache etc.

The folder was created on 11th May - just at the time when I had to reinstall Windows due to a serious malfunction.

So....... is it ok to delete it?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

The folder was created on 11th May - just at the time when I had to reinstall Windows due to a serious malfunction.

How did you reinstall Windows? Reformat and reinstall or did you keep the filesystem intact?

It won't let me double click to display the files,

What error is given?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
No, it was repaired using the repair function - though the Windows disc went through the motion of copying system files across to my D drive (I was extremely lucky not to have lost 125Gb of music & videos)

It doesn't give an error message, it just won't open up to display the actual files.

The only curious thing I've just noticed is that the original file was created back in 2007 but in Explorer, the entry under "Date Deleted" is today's date, June 22nd. Previously this was dated 11th May.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Read these and see if they help:
http://support.micro...b/171694/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah thanks for that - doesn't seem to be any sort of problem by deleting them.

you can close this one - and I've got another query in a new thread. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok then. Hope someone else can shed some light on this issue. :)
Please post the outcome and how (if you did) you solved this problem; we would like to know!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As already stated, the recycler is the files that are in the recycle bin. They normally get deleted from the recycler when the recycle bin is emptied.

I vaguely recall reading on this forum about Norton locking the recycle bin or having its own recycle bin. I wonder if this is a possibility.

If you have Norton...
Norton Protected Recycle Bin
More on Norton Recycle Bin

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Now then - I USED to have Norton, a few years ago, so maybe it has something to do with that.

I deleted the folders last night, no immediate problems, I think the only issue according to the articles edge referred to by edge may be to do with access to documents, but so far, no problemo.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Might want to make sure that Norton is gone for good.
http://service1.syma...005033108162039

I also have seen Norton cause these problems, it will protect the Recycle Bin if you enabled the option.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Might want to make sure that Norton is gone for good.
http://service1.syma...005033108162039

I also have seen Norton cause these problems, it will protect the Recycle Bin if you enabled the option.

The Norton Protected Recycle Bin used to cause VxD BSOD's on Windows 9x machines. God that was awful.