Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to build a computer to work with ancient operating system

• Please log in to reply

AThommes

AThommes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have old software (Cadkey/Cadcam) that uses an ancient operating system (dos based -- windows 3.1 works on it). To upgrade the software is prohibitively expensive. Therefore, I am looking for someone to build and "old" computer that can work with the ancient operating system, so that my software can work on this new "old" computer. Is this possible? Can anyone help me -- or do this???!!!

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
you can use your current computer and run virtualpc to run dos or windows 3.1 But dont ask here on how to get it.

VirtualPC would be your best bet, it is offered by Microsoft and it is free.

If you really need an old computer to run the program then hit up tag sales and garage sales since it will be difficult building a PC to run such an old OS.

VirtualPC From Microsoft -> http://www.microsoft...ows/virtual-pc/

Edit:: If above link takes you to VirtalPC Beta, that is for Windows 7. For the XP/Vista version go here -> http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en It is virtual pc 2007 (and still free!)

HTH Jon

Edited by amw_drizz, 22 June 2009 - 11:42 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I don't think that building it is going to be as difficult as you think. Enough searching will bring out "geeks" that will hang on to the old stuff. The windows 3.1 will be in the hands of some geeks (I believe I have a copy). I would also imagine a google search or ebay would find you the software. What would be tricky is internet access (if needed) and finding printers/ drivers. CD drives should not be a problem, but CD burners might. I know I have free CD burner software programs that works on NT (I needed it for a client). I did not search for any for windows 3.1

123runner

AThommes

AThommes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually, I believe I have all the software (I think) -- it is the computer itself that will work with the software that I need. I am not able to build a computer myself -- at least I have never done it. If you know of someone -- or if someone else reads this -- who is willing to undertake this mission, I would appreciate the contact.
Thanks.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well if you are looking for the computer, and you posted it about a month or so ago, I could of given you a working computer minus the OS that would of done what you needed. I had 2 old work P1 tower systems that ran Win95 but could of run win3.1 real easy if you had the installer disks.

All I would of wanted was shipping, but alas it is now in a computer scrap yard all torn apart by now.

@123runner - I know it wouldn't be too difficult to build the trick is locating the geeks who still have the older equipment and that wanted to part with it.

I still say if you cannot get your hands on some old equipment give VirtualPC 2007 a shot if you still have the media as you say you do.