Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless PC Card loses signal

• Please log in to reply

cbyrne

cbyrne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello i know this may sound stupid but every time someone opens the front door in my office my wireless internet connection stops. I can only asume that when the door alarm contacts are broken when the door opens then my wireless signal must somehow route through this contact. Does anyone now if this is true and can someone tell me how i can resolve this.

I have a pc tower with a wireless pc card.

Many Thanks

Chris

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Chris -- welcome to G2G :)

That's not nearly as stupid as it may seem; wireless signals can be affected by many devices (phones, baby monitors, etc.) so it would not be unreasonable to assume that your alarm may also be affecting your signal.

There's really only two things you can do; one is to change the channel on which your router broadcasts and the other is to buy new hardware which uses different frequencies. Since changing the channel doesn't cost any money and is a simple thing to do, we'll focus on that.

Basically, you need to login to your router's web interface, navigate to the Wireless section and look for a "Wireless Broadcast Channel" or "Broadcast" or "Wireless Channel" or any similarly-named property (it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer). Once you have found that, change the channel to a different channel. Channels 1, 6 and 11 would be good channels to test on. Simply change the channel and then test if the issue still occurs. If it does, try a different channel.

If you do not know how to login to your router's web interface, please post the make and model and we will attempt to walk you through it.

- Dan

cbyrne

cbyrne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Dan i will give it a try, let you know if it works.

Kind Regards

Chris