Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing XP from the old and reinstalling in a new PC

• Please log in to reply

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hi,
Every four years or so, the university where I work supplies us with new PC’s. We’re given the option to buy our old ‘workhorse’ for about €10.00 (US$14.00).
My home PC has a legitimate and validated Windows XP OS installed. After backing up the important files from my old PC, I’ll format the hard-drive and donate it to an elementary school in the area.
My question is: I wish to ‘re-install’ my original Windows XP in the ‘new’ computer and am wondering what I have to expect from Microsoft. I’m sure MS will not validate the new installation in the new computer – but its a legitimate copy. What can I expect?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Totally depends on the version of your old XP cd. Did it come with your old system (is it a Dell, HP, Acer, etc)?

Murray

crooz

crooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

OEM CD (not a recovery CD)
Non A-brand PC

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

OEM CD (not a recovery CD)
Non A-brand PC

Would be illegal to use it even if Microsoft decides to activate it.

The OEM cd is forever married to the system it was first installed. Even if you junk that system, the OEM cd cannot legally be used on any other system.

I suggest you purchase a retail version of XP. More money but the license can be transferred.

Murray

crooz

crooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to do.

Solved.