Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instant BSoD when laptop tries to boot

• Please log in to reply

mattymatt

mattymatt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted Image

Now all he really wants to is recover his data (Uni work) - while he doesn't really need it anymore (since he just graduated) - he wants to have it, portfolio use etc. He tried to reinstall Windows bu it never got anywhere.
Now since there is no way of getting into windows (safe boot also fails) I tried Knoppix. It's an older version, so I may try a newer one soon-ish since it wouldn't allow me to connect to our wireless. (It also gave a fatal error, but still booted up). I can access the hard drive and look at the files.
I tried connecting an external HDD, but no icon popped up on the desktop. I forgot how to do anything else (like check if the device is recognised) - so I resorted to pluging in a mouse, got no response out of it, so I assume something is wrong with the USB ports (I tried them all) - missing drivers or broken.
I tried a usb stick that glows when it's connected and it does, but only for a short second, so I'm unsure of that.

The only other thing I can come up with is trying to transfer the files via networking between a linux and windows PC... but that is a last resort since i'd prefer to stay out of that hassle (last time I did it, it was a hassle!).

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
iastor.sys is the mass controller driver, usually for intel chipsets. Update the chipset driver :)

mattymatt

mattymatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

iastor.sys is the mass controller driver, usually for intel chipsets. Update the chipset driver :)

How? I can't get into Windows or do anything of importance really.

Edited by mattymatt, 24 June 2009 - 10:00 AM.