Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ugh...screwed up my bookmarks on Firefox somehow

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Hey all...

I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox this morning. Prior to the uninstalling, I went into the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ folder via start, run and located my bookmarks. From there I copied and pasted the bookmarks to a flash drive. I then uninstalled Firefox and installed the newer version 3.5. When I copied and pasted my bookmarks from the flash drive back to the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ folder, my bookmarks did not show up when I opened Firefox. I placed the bookmarks in the bookmarksbackup folder.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Greg

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi Greg,

What did you copy and put on the flash?
Was it the places.sqlite or was it one of the JSON backups from the bookmarkbackups folder?

T.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hi Greg,

What did you copy and put on the flash?
Was it the places.sqlite or was it one of the JSON backups from the bookmarkbackups folder?

T.

Hiya...I copied all of the .json files. Were those the wrong ones?

Greg

Edited by konakula29er, 24 June 2009 - 10:28 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Those are fine. It just makes a difference in restoring them, depending on what file you're using.

For using the JSON's in the bookmarkbackup folder, click Bookmarks>Oraganize Bookmarks>Import and Backup>Restore. Select the JSON you want to use.

If for some reason it doesn't work, first check that the JSON's aren't marked Read Only (that sometimes happens when bringing files from a flash drive).
If that's not it, delete the places.sqlite in the Profile folder. When Firefox creates a new one, it will look in the bookmarkbackup folder for the most recent JSON to draw info from.

Edited by Throoper, 24 June 2009 - 10:52 AM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Those are fine. It just makes a difference in restoring them, depending on what file you're using.

For using the JSON's in the bookmarkbackup folder, click Bookmarks>Oraganize Bookmarks>Import and Backup>Restore. Select the JSON you want to use.

If for some reason it doesn't work, first check that the JSON's aren't marked Read Only (that sometimes happens when bringing files from a flash drive).
If that's not it, delete the places.sqlite in the Profile folder. When Firefox creates a new one, it will look in the bookmarkbackup folder for the most recent JSON to draw info from.

It worked! Sweet! Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Greg

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
You're welcome. :)