Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LG DVD Installation Conflict; Restore & Back-up now Fail

• Please log in to reply

SailorEd

SailorEd

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Installed LG DVD drive with USB interface on my IBM G40 notebook. LG DVD drive is functional but the install has caused following problems:
1). Back-up in windows no longer functions. Does not find back-up device.
2). Restore in windows no longer functions. Does not see previously created retore points and create restore points does not function. Error to close and restart function.
3). Maxtor Manager software for Maxtor One Touch 4 external HD does not function. Error indicates that drive is not present. Explorer does see the drive.
4). Autochk ran upon boot-up now gives message "Does not check raw drives". This did not occur prior to installing the LG DVD drive.

Actions taken have included following:
a). uninstalled Maxtor Manager software and reinstalled. After doing this and before rebooting computer, Back-up and Restore in windows worked.
b). Upon shut down, experienced blue screen failure and machine auto recovered.
c). After auto recover from blue screen failure, back-up and restore no longer work.
d). Several virus and malware removal programs have been ran and actions taken before a). to c).

Given that the problem started with the install of the LG DVD drive it is obviously the cause of the Maxtor Manager, Back-up and Restore conflicts. I can only see one file that the install created and it is in the drivers folder; inidvd.sys
That is as far as my knowledge can take me.

I would be most grateful for your help in addressing the conflict caused by loading the LG DVD Model GE20LU10 drive on to my system.

Best regards,
SailorEd

Advertisements

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
LG customer service has advised that drive just purchased is not SP3 compatable. Very strange indeed.
In any case, used site process for removing the "Google Redirect Malware" and computer is now operating back to normal and redirect has been eliminated as well as chkdsk indication that a drive was "raw".
LG drive still not working. Looks like wasted money.
I still suspect that the "inidvd.sys" file copied into drivers folder during install of drive/software was the problem and contained the malware causing redicted of searches.
All problems linked to LG drive install and corrected by using site directions for removing malware.