Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to be a computer geek.

• Please log in to reply

lan308

lan308

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I think I have a basic knoledge of operating systems, installing software and i have created a home network (following online instructions). I would like to extend my overall knoledge but i dont want to pay a fortune on a training courses. I would appreciate it if anyone could offer me some advice on books i could purchase to do this.

Thanx in advance

Advertisements

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Here is some good free videos http://www.professor...m...ticle&id=43

lan308

lan308

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cool thanx for that. gonna have a proper look tonight

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
stuff like that helps or keeping involved in the forums around here is a great learning tool too. There are so many different levels of techs on this site and everyone has different experiences. Read some of the posts in the forums you can learn all types of interesting things here. If you don't understand something google it and if that doesn't work ask questions people around here are more than willing to help or teach somebody something. There's even a nice free school for malware!! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Read some of the posts in the forums you can learn all types of interesting things here. If you don't understand something google it and if that doesn't work ask questions people around here are more than willing to help or teach somebody something.

Just about everything I know about computers I have learned this way. Six months ago I didn't even know what RAM looked like, or how to even get to the Registry. I just built a computer without reading any instructions at all, and I have completed my first Geek U Registry Exercise for Upper Classmen.

If you are dedicated and really want to learn like I do, your knowledge can progress rather quickly. Also, youtube is a pretty cool place to learn some things, especially with me being a bit more of a visual learner.

There's even a nice free school for malware!!

It is called Geek U. No experience necessary. Absolutely free. It is where you can be taught on how to fight Malware (Viruses/Spyware). It has been very rewarding thus far.

Geek U, Check it out!