Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tooo many downloads

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I created a Download folder on my computer to put all downloads. Most everything I downloaded was zipped/compressed, I think. My intentions were to uncompress and place into Programs folder. Let me be honest about my lack of house cleaning - now I have a folder with waay to many items in it ! How can I tell which are compressed and which actual programs? Will I have to go back and forth with Program folder to verify programs already installed? Does compressed file have different name from actual program?

Gee - I can think of a new guide (don't tell me there already is one!) - How to organize your computer/How to take control of your computer

I'll stop for now. Thanks for time and thoughts.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Usually compressed files/programs are in a zipped format such as .zip or .rar, etc

Personally, I keep my downloads in a download folder, even after I install the program. If is a zipped file of a program I install, that will go into its own folder within the download folder. I will unzip within that folder. That way all of the files needed for the program install are together and not scattered.

If I have multiple versions of the same program (and I do), they are again in their own folder within the download folder.

To see if a program is installed, you can sometimes tell what it is by the file name or properties. I make a habit of renaming the file to something I understand instead of the shortcut names they give.
Keep in mind that a zipped/compressed file takes less space than a unzipped one.

And of course I have multiple backups of the main system, data, pictures, and everything important. If it is a program that I have downloaded and requires a registration and key, that is backed up also.

123runner