Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Gulp Uh Oh

Gulp Uh Oh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just ran a diagnostic and it said that the primary device passed. Then I restarted it and this blue screen came up.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
heck to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mod.
Technical information:
*** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

What should I do?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I remove all but one stick of RAM and start over. You can also test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Using the floppy method is generally easier (and another reason to include floppy drives in new builds). However, the CD method is just as effective at detecting RAM problems. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here.

Gulp Uh Oh

Gulp Uh Oh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did try both memory sticks... both the original one (256mb) and the one that I bought and installed (1gb)... both separately and together. It didn't make a difference :) Would a problem with the RAM really cause it to freeze up like this?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it looks like you have eliminated everything but the motherboard. At some point, with no spare parts on hand for sacrificial testing, you just have to take it in to a shop.

Gulp Uh Oh

Gulp Uh Oh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
We disconnected everything that was listed and it gives us six low beeps and doesn't prompt for a boot disk. It just stays black... nothing happens when it's turned on. Anyone know what those beeps mean?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
6 beeps is usually a kb error.
I would suggest testing the MOBO outside the case. To do this follow the next steps.

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.