Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor will not allow pixel change

• Please log in to reply

crhogan

crhogan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a big problem! I was having multiple dll errors which turned into fatal error every time I booted up my PC. Decided to start from scratch. Was able to partition and format with no problems, but my Windows 98 SE would not reinstall. It would begin installation then give me "BBcopy has failed: Error level 19
Error copy err. So in desperation, I repartioned and formated and installed an earlier version of Windows 98 (not secone edition). This installed fully, but when I went to reinstall my DSL software, the screen is too big. The first thing it asks me to do is to click on English the hit the next button. I can not get to the next button because it is off the screen. When I go to the Control Panel/display the only choices I have for colors is 2 and 16. I know I had more before. It won't allow me to change the pixels either. It is greyed out at 640x480 pixels. I have an HP p700 17 inch monitor. Where did I go wrong?

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
First, try changing the On Screen Display by using the buttons on the front of your monitor. You will need to shrink the screen to be able to see the "Next" button.

The reason your screen seems so funny and your resolution is stuck at 640 x 480 is because your video card driver hasn't been installed. Update your video driver and you'll be back in business. You should have gotten a CD or floppy disk with the card if you bought it seperate from the PC. If the card came with the PC, you should have received a CD with all of the drivers for all of your hardware components. If, however, you change the On Screen Display as noted in the above paragraph, you'll be able to set up your Internet connection and dowload the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site.

Hope this helps. :tazz: