Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop not working

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
My aunt gave me her old hp pavilion zd8000 after it stopped working. I don't know what happened to it, or what is wrong with it. So far I have tested the proc in a spare desktop, and the ram in another laptop, and both are working. The screen does not come on when I power it up but the fans and led's do for about 2 sec and then shut off and repeat. I tried plugging an external monitor into it but it still doesn't work. The only thing that I can think of is that the motherboard IS actually fried (that's what my aunt said the problem was, I'm not sure how she knew) so does this mean there is no hope of the laptop working again? or is it possible to buy a new motherboard for a decent price?

Advertisements

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
would this be what I need? http://laptops-mothe...products_id=234

pctestcardcom

pctestcardcom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Maybe the mainboard is faulty, if there is more than 1 RAM, just use 1 RAM to test.

Also try reset the laptop by removing the AC and battery and holding down the power button over 15 secs to discharge the system, then connect the AC only and see if the laptop works. When discharging the laptop, remove all removable device including the external KB/Ms as well as DVD drive PCMCIA card.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Laptop technician
wwww.PcTestCard.com

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I tried both and it still doesn't work... :)

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
since neither worked, what do you think about the option of buying a new motherboard? is that a recommended next step? I have tried just about everything else I know how to do.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Help!! I replaced the mainboard in the laptop and it worked for two weeks, but after my brother was turning of breakers to try and find the one he wanted, he turned off the one the laptop was on and because the battery wasn't working it shut off and now it won't come back on! I'm so TO'D cause I payed over 200 after shipping to buy it and now it suddenly stops working :'(

Is there a possibility it may be a dif problem other then the mainboard? whenever I hit the power button the led's and fans come on for about a second and then shut off... the screen doesn't respond at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I hate to say it but the Mainboard may have taken the blunt of the hit.
By the description it sounds like either a faulty Power supply or the Mainboard.
Have you tried it in a different outlet?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yes I have tried different outlets with no success...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is not good then.
Was the system connected to a Surge protector at the time?
Have you checked to make sure the AC Adapter is functioning correctly?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yes it was plugged into a surge protector which really makes me wonder how the heck it fried... I think that the ac adapter is working, the light comes on and everything. When I plug the ac adapter into the dock and plug the laptop into the dock the light on the dock comes on but the laptop still won't come on

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like Mainboard is gone again
The only other option is the power switch but at this point it seems to be working correctly.
:)

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
everything that is plugged into the powerstrip that the laptop was plugged into is still working fine... did it fry because there is issues with the ac adapter?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be the adapter or could be it was just the sudden power loss and then powerd back on.
It's hard to tell without actually looking at the mainboard to see if maybe a capacitor fried.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Is that easy to tell? cause I have it cracked open and I could go look at it right now, or does it take a pro to be able to know?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would be looking for something that looks like a Tootsie Roll standing on it's end.
See if any of them are bulging like this ( ) or leaking.
If they are then the mainboard needs to be replaced.
Also look for any black electrical burn spots.
If you want you can take pictures of the mainboard and attach them to several replies.
Save them as JPEG format.
I can then look at them and tell you quickly.