Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
My computer runs XP - Home.

Friday night I was prompted to update Media Player to version 8. I was afraid to do so because many "updates" from MS mess up my computer. However, I loaded the update. I noticed the new icons in the tray and on the Start Menu, so I assumed all was well.

On Friday nights I run my anti virus and anti spyware software. I started AVG anti-spyware. I checked on it 2 hours later and my boot-up screen was on the monitor. By bootup screen I mean, when my machine is turned on, it stops soon after the bootup begins and says something about the CPU was changed??? and prompts me to hit F1 to continue or Del to go to the BIOS Setup. I have always hit F1 and the machine always boots up just fine.

Something happened while AVG was running to shut down the computer, what I don't know and I don't know if it is connected to the Media Player update or to a virus I picked up the night before (4 of us use this computer, so viruses and adware are not uncommon - I automatically run Norton Anti-virus and manually run AVG, Ad-Aware, SuperSpyware and Lavasoft). HOWEVER, this time when I hit F1 the machine did not boot up but rather loaded my desktop but with NO tray, NO icons and no response from the Windows key on the keyboard, but with only the mouse pointer on the screen. I could get the Task Manager by hitting Alt-Ctl=Del, but nothing else.

I rebooted several times, and always the same result: My desktop but no tray, no icons, nothing.

I rebooted and tried my wife's and my two daughter's sign in. Same result, their desktop with nothing else. None of us have secure log on procedures and all have Admin Rights.

I tried to boot up in Safe Mode. Again nothing.

I loaded an old Windows XP CD from my daughter's Dell into the CD reader, changed the BIOS to boot up from a CD and loaded a second XP operating system in a folder named Window2. Now when I boot up after hitting F1 to continue, I'm prompted with which operating system to boot, Window2 is listed first and the machine boots up properly, (This is how I am connected and writing this posting.); Windows (the original operating system) does not.

I tried to use the Repair option [BIG MISTAKE] on the CD to repair the original XP; it does not work but prompts me with something like "Continuing Startup", but then it restarts the computer.

The original operating system is linked to all my programs, my Firefox, my Thunderbird, etc. I NEED the original system to bootup.

I have more:

I can no longer get to the desktop trying to boot up in Original. When I choose to bootup in Original, the Windows Logo screen come up, as is normal, and the little dots moving left to right start moving, when they stop, the screen goes to a light blue with the message, "Setup is being restarted..........." After several seconds the machine shuts down and restarts.

During bootup when the screen asks me which op system to use, it also says that I can hit F8 for troubleshooting. I hit F8 and then selected to boot up from the last known bootup that worked. Same result as above.

I then tried to boot up in Safe Mode. After a few seconds, I get a listing of many drivers, i.e. the screen lists look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\...--then a driver

It lists about 20+ drivers.

After a few seconds, the screen becomes black with the words Safe Mode in each corner and at the center top: BUILD .xpsp_sp2 (and more but I could not write fast enought to copy it all down).

Then the machine again shuts down and restarted.

In the options after I hit F8 is the option to disenable automatic shutdown - Should I disable this?

Perhaps if I boot up into New (which boots up just fine), could I then, using My Computer, remove the files/program/script that was obviously loaded by the XP Disc Repair module that keeps trying to "Setup is being restarted...." and when unsuccessful keeps shutting down/restarting.

AND MORE:

My computer was built in someone's basement/workroom. It has served me well for about five years.

I believe the motherboard is an ATA100/133; the CPU is an Intel Pentium 4; it has a Westen Digital Hard-drive (80Gig-I think). I have a 3.5 in. floppy drive, a CD drive, and a CD/DVD R/W drive. My sound card is a Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1/24 bit card. The machine has 3 fans, two on the box and a big Arctic Cooling 4 fan on the mother board. I have 512 MB of RAM. The video card has a fan that died, I have a PNY AGP8x 5200 256 MB Graphics Card that I was going to install, but since no user ever runs games, the current card is working well and does not overheat even with the broken fan.

I have the cover off, so if you can tell me where to look for more descriptive items or how to find them in SYSTEMS or elsewhere, then I will do so.

Lastly, I have another problem. The XP CD I loaded to create the New XP was from a daughter's Dell, and I have been prompted to "register" it within 30 days. Since it was probably registered once before when the Dell machine was set up, will the Anti-Christ (Bill Gates) let me "use" it again. Also, I may not have all the CDs of the software loaded through the original XP (mea culpa - no one to blame but myself). Sometimes I long for the days of DOS where all programs were in their own sub-directory and not co-mingled with the operating system.

Is there no way to work on the files in WINDOWS (the original XP) when I am booted up on WINDOW2 (the new XP)?

Lastly, I downloaded and ran Key Finder and it found a Windows key; I also have another key I wrote out in a hard copy file drawer. I don't know if which key is for the Dell system and which (if any) are for my machine. Can you tell which is which from the key itself?

Jim

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Did the repair install fail?

Find this file in the original Windows dir: setupact.log

That will show you any erros that occured during the repair install, please post them if any.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Dear diabillic,

Thanks for your response and your efforts.

Yes, apparently it failed, because I still can't boot in the original XP.

The setupact.log is as follows:

Warning Uninstall: Failed to retrieve registry entries
GUI mode Setup has started.
Volume: D:\

Device Path: \\?\ide#cdromhl-dt-st_dvd-ram_gsa-h22n_______________1.00____#5&179a907b&0&0.0.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

1. CD-ROM Drive - \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0-4
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N
HardwareId:
IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H22N_______________1.00____
IDE\HL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H22N_______________1.00____
IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H22N_______________
HL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H22N_______________1.00____
GenCdRomIDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H22N_______________1.00____
LowerFilters: imapi
UpperFilters: redbook
2. Primary IDE Channel - \Device\Ide\PciIde0Channel0-0
HardwareId:
Intel-24cb
Primary_IDE_Channel
*PNP0600Intel-24cb
3. Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB - \Device\NTPNP_PCI0008
HardwareId:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&SUBSYS_1006147B&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&SUBSYS_1006147B
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&CC_01018A
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&CC_0101PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CB&SUBSYS_1006147B&REV_02
4. PCI bus - \Device\0000005c
HardwareId:
ACPI\PNP0A03
*PNP0A03ACPI\PNP0A03
5. Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
HardwareId:
ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08
*PNP0C08ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08
6. HardwareId: acpiapic_up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume: E:\

Device Path: \\?\ide#cdromliteon_cd-rom_ltn526s___________________ys0n____#5&179a907b&0&0.1.0#{53f56308-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

1. CD-ROM Drive - \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T1L0-c
LITEON CD-ROM LTN526S
HardwareId:
IDE\CdRomLITEON_CD-ROM_LTN526S___________________YS0N____
IDE\LITEON_CD-ROM_LTN526S___________________YS0N____
IDE\CdRomLITEON_CD-ROM_LTN526S___________________
LITEON_CD-ROM_LTN526S___________________YS0N____
GenCdRomIDE\CdRomLITEON_CD-ROM_LTN526S___________________YS0N____
UpperFilters: redbook
2. Primary IDE Channel - \Device\Ide\PciIde0Channel0-0
HardwareId:
Intel-24cb
Primary_IDE_Channel
*PNP0600Intel-24cb
HardwareId:
HardwareId:
ACPI\PNP0A03
*PNP0A03ACPI\PNP0A03
HardwareId:
ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08
*PNP0C08ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume: C:\

Device Path: \\?\ide#diskwdc_wd800jb-00fma0______________________13.03g13#4457572d4143394a393138313536203420202020#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

1. Disk drive - \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP1T0L0-17
WDC WD800JB-00FMA0
HardwareId:
IDE\DiskWDC_WD800JB-00FMA0______________________13.03G13
IDE\WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0______________________13.03G13
IDE\DiskWDC_WD800JB-00FMA0______________________
WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0______________________13.03G13
GenDiskIDE\DiskWDC_WD800JB-00FMA0______________________13.03G13
2. Secondary IDE Channel - \Device\Ide\PciIde0Channel1-1
HardwareId:
Intel-24cb
Secondary_IDE_Channel
*PNP0600Intel-24cb
HardwareId:
HardwareId:
ACPI\PNP0A03
*PNP0A03ACPI\PNP0A03
HardwareId:
ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08
*PNP0C08ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08

SXS Installation Succeed for E:\I386\asms

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
OK, can you now post your setuperr.log please. Should be in the same location

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

By bootup screen I mean, when my machine is turned on, it stops soon after the bootup begins and says something about the CPU was changed??? and prompts me to hit F1 to continue or Del to go to the BIOS Setup

This also indicates a problem. It could be a possible bad cmos battery. We can deal with that later.

I also hope that you are not running more than 1 virus scanner, because they will conflict.

Boot from the XP cd and enter the recovery console. How to get to Recovery Console. It is detailed in 6 steps/pages.
I want you to run the chkdsk /r when you get to c:\windows. The chkdsk command, often referred to as "check disk", is used to identify, and often times correct, certain hard drive errors.

no joy,
Then if you can get to a command prompt. You can do this as a "new task" if you can get to the task manager.
Under File....click on new task.
Enter in cmd and click ok.
This will open a command prompt window.
Type in sfc /scannow and hit enter
It will find and replace missing and/ or corrupt windows files. You will most likely need the windows cd. Feed it the CD when asked. If it does not ask for the CD, then there were no missing or corrupt files.

123runner

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks to diabillic and 123Runner,

I am currently at my office, so I will address these recommendation this evening when I get home, (Will you two be on line this evening?), but first some questions/comments, first 123, then diabillic:

123 Runner:

1. Yes, my battery died about two weeks ago and I was too lazy to pull the machine from under my desk to change. (I would boot up then change the clock.) Well, because of this current problem I pulled it out and it is now on top of the desk, so I changed the battery yesterday.

2. I have had multiple virus and spyware scanners for many years, but I only had one running continuously, the Norton Anti-Virus module within Symantec Systemworks. The others I scan manually.

3. Must I boot up from the CD to carry out your instructions. Since it boots up perfectly well from the second (i.e., what I've called the New) XP from the hard drive, could I not perform chkdsk and scannow from a command prompt associated with the new XP? (BTW, since the second XP works well, do you think the problem still could be with the hard drive?)

4. I think I will not be able to get into the Recovery Console. I think (I'm a novice so I don't always understand what I'm doing.) I tried that first, but the machine kept shutting itself off. If was after that that I loaded a second XP.

diabillic:

I will send the setuperr log around 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm EDT.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I probably will not be home for a majority of the evening, but I will be monitoring this topic. I actually got laid off from work today so I will have lots of free time tomorrow to help you :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
check disk will probably be ok from the working XP.
sfc /scannow needs to be run from recovery because you need to run it on the XP that is not functioning. That can only be done from recovery because in recovery you have to choose the OS you want to check.

I should be home.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
diabillic,

The setuperr.log is empty.

Sorry about the job loss - it's a bad market, but hopefully you'll get something better and soon.

Jim

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I ran chkdsk.exe without the /R option and it reported that there were problems with the file system and suggested the I rerun it with the /F option.

I then tried to run it with the /R option and I got:
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N)

I said no.

But.............what should I do now, run it with the /F option or say Yes when prompted as above?

Jim

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You need to run the chkdsk.

Can not lock the drive means that it needs exclusive use of the drive.
Re-run it with the /R.
You need to say yes.

/F Fixes errors on the disk. Does not scan for bad sectors
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I ran chkdsk /R and again got the same message as before. This time I said Yes. I restarted the computer and I got a light blue screen saying:

Checking System on C File type is FAR32
A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk Vol #0a0-14F9
Windows verifying files and folders.
[THIS TOOK ABOUT ONE HOUR]
File and folder verification is complete

Windows now verifying free space.
[THIS TOOK ABOUT 15 MINUTES]

A quick message came up showing how much free space etc. but it went so fast I could not get it all.

It then loaded my new windows.

Should I run chkdsk /F now?

Jim

Edited by jsaklas, 29 June 2009 - 07:08 PM.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
It's 2:00am and I'm exhausted.
The chkdsk did no good. I can't get to a command prompt in the original windows to try the sfc command. I still get "Setup is trying to restart" then it restarts.

Who's out there?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Lets do some diagnostics on the HDD to make sure. You could have some corrupted sectors that would be causing your issue.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
jsaklas...Sorry I wasn't around. Friends stopped over unexpectedly and we partied a little.

Can you still get into safe mode on the corrupted windows?
If so, you need to run sfc /scannow from the cmd (command prompt). You will most likely be asked for the XP cd.

To get to command prompt
Go to start....
Go to run....
Type in cmd and hit enter
A new window will appear. Now type in sfc /scannow and hit enter. It will start to check the system files and replace corrupted ones.

123runner