Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL Router, Adding a 2nd Router to add Wifi?

• Please log in to reply

Winjas

Winjas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All

I have recently moved home to a rural location where i can no longer get my old cable internet. So i now have ADSL and the ISP sent me a free modem/router i opted not to pay the extra $120 for a Wifi modem as i already have my own Wifi Router that i had used on my old Cable.

So i got the ISP's modem/router all setup and here i am online all ok with an Ethernet cable to the modem/router from my Mac, this is all fine. BUT i would like to use my own Wifi router as well (router only, not modem) so i can have Wifi at home for use by my two different laptops and my Ipod Touch.

I did think that if i plugged the Wifi router into say Lan port 2 on the modem/router it would act as a computer and then relay the internet using the Wifi, but this hasn't worked at all. I am sure there is a way of doing this isnt there? Starting to wish i had paid the extra for the Wifi modem from ISP, but it seemed silly when i already have a Wifi router collecting dust in a drawer.

Would appreciate any help please?
My setup:

-ADSL Internet from ISP
-ISP Supplied Modem / 4port Router (Netcomm NB6Plus4)
-Own Wifi Router (LinkOne WBR-3408)
-Apple Mac connected by Ethernet
-2 X Laptops *hope* connect by Wifi
-Ipod Touch *hope* connected by Wifi

Edited by Winjas, 28 June 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run a network cable from the DSL router to the ADSL router.
Log into the DSL router and set it up to get an IP address off the ADSL router, which effectively turns it into a relay.
You should now be able to connect to the wireless part of the DSL router and it'll go online through the ADSL router.