Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive memory question

• Please log in to reply

hannah!

hannah!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This will sounds like a really stupid question but if i downloaded somethng that would take up like 5GB or something if i went to delete it would all 5GB go back onto my hard drive or would i lose some memory in the process?
thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two different questions:

if i downloaded somethng that would take up like 5GB or something if i went to delete it would all 5GB go back onto my hard drive

Yes if you Defrag you should get it all back.

would i lose some memory in the process

Memory does not get lost when deleting files
Hard drive is for storage as you are saying I believe and the memory is what allows you to open more programs at one time and run them effectively.

I hope this answers your question and just a FYI. There is never a stupid question except the one you fail to ask. :) :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 June 2009 - 10:17 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The stupid question is the one not asked. deleting a file

if i delete it would all...go back

Yes, it all goes back. You don't even have to defrag. Once the disk gets the command to delete, ALL the sectors are marked free. You can easliy see this yourself by copying a file, note the space, then delete the file. You will get back every last bit - pun intended.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Make sure, you empty Recycle Bin.