Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stuck in boot loop - now on second desktop. Very persistant.

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I used ZA many years ago and then got away from it to try a few others. I am back with ZA. The commodo 1 was a royal pain. It seems as it could never "learn".
I believe that all you need is ZA. You do not want anymore than 1 anyways, because they will get confused on who is controlling what program.

Advertisements

Skesis

Skesis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I used ZA many years ago and then got away from it to try a few others. I am back with ZA. The commodo 1 was a royal pain. It seems as it could never "learn".
I believe that all you need is ZA. You do not want anymore than 1 anyways, because they will get confused on who is controlling what program.

You're not wrong there! I use a program a lot that uses a postgresql database, firewalls think the connections to the internal postgresql server are attempts to go online, ZoneAlarm I tell it once and it never bothers me again. Comodo pops up 5 or more times a day and shuts down my database while it's waiting for confirmation.

koryo

koryo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I myself have used Zonealarm for many years. I don't know why someone would say its useless, it monitors for outbound and inbound connections, and lets you control what goes in and out of your computer program wise. Whereas a NAT Firewall, whilst protecting you, doesn't give you the same level of control with programs already on your computer. There are really only two types of firewall, however i can't remember the details on each of them. As long as you have a legitimate software firewall too then you are protecting yourself from more threats than just having a NAT firewall.

Really the only major difference is the interface in my opinion. Obviously there are more differences the deeper into the software's you look, but for general protection just stick with the one you feel more comfortable with using.