Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop OS Windows XP only boots in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

rainebough

rainebough

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had my laptop for about a year and a half. At one point, I did have a few viruses and some spyware on it but I [finally] downloaded cox's McAfee security suite and that took care of that problem. That was... a few months ago.

Now, I can't boot up unless I'm in safe mode.
This happened about a week ago.
I realize that I shut off my laptop often without actually going through turning it off [just hitting the power button] but I don't think that would do this.
I ran a defrag and I did another virus scan [though I haven't had internet on it since Decemeber] and both turned out fine.

I've tried booting up with Last Known Good Configuration but that doesn't work. The screen just turns black. I've also tried [:/ I forget what it's called] you know when you go back and use the setting and everything from a previous date? I did that multiple times and I even went back farther, almost two months. I recently installed the Sims 3 and that was [that's what it's called!] a Restore Point.

I need help. I can't have my laptop only work in safe mode. Please? Thank you [in advance] :)

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Do you see an error when you boot up into normal mode?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I realize that I shut off my laptop often without actually going through turning it off [just hitting the power button]

It's possible, you caused serious damages.

rainebough

rainebough

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't get anything when I boot up in normal mode.
The screen comes up to choose how to start up (various safe modes, last good configuration or normally) and if I choose normally, all I get is a black screen. It just stops. And it's when that happens that I hit the power button and try it all again and try it in safe mode. Then when I log on, a screen pops up asking me if I want to try to restore it to previous settings and that doesn't work.

If I reinstall windows and everything, would that solve my problem?
I'm not worried about losing anything. Anything I would want to keep (music/ photos/ etc) is on a flash drive and so that's no problem.
So, reinstalling windows- would that fix it?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is no guarantee, but since your data is safe, it's a free try :)