Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best way to backup computers via ftp?

• Please log in to reply

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks for taking a look at this one, it's a little confusing.

I'm volunteering to help my local United Way branch. They want to backup thier files and I mentioned why not use my FTP server that I use to host my site on?

There are three computers that would need to be backed up, do you know of any good free ways to about doing this? I know how to create the ftp users,etc.. it's just getting the computers to backup to the ftp server.

Thank you for any advice!

Cameron

Edited by CamTheMan, 30 June 2009 - 03:42 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How much data and what platforms are we using here? There a different solutions for different platforms (windows, mac) etc.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

How much data and what platforms are we using here? There a different solutions for different platforms (windows, mac) etc.

Hi Diabillic

They have Windows XP computers. At the moment they have a 4gb jump drive they are using to backup their stuff.

Thank you for your time,

Cam

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How fast of a WAN link?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

How fast of a WAN link?

I am not sure, its Ethernet i know that much.

Thank you,

Cameron

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What ISP are you using?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I'm not sure, I know it's high speed but it's not going to be really fast. They are all about saving money.

Cameron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i use syncback by 2BrightSparks for a lot of internal backups of individual files/folders etc... and it has both a network share option and an FTP option...with the FTP option it will automatically log in to the specified FTP server and drop the files that you want copied onto the FTP server....you can also have it just sync changes/changed files so that you're not using as much bandwidth copying files that haven't changed...it can be a little funky to configure...but the learning curve isn't that steep