Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot reinstallation CD for Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Mattitude

Mattitude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to do a clean install of Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 9150 but the computer cannot seem to boot up the reinstallation CD when turning the computer on.

I have accessed the Boot Device Menu by pressing the F12 key on startup. I then selected the 'Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive' and pressed the enter key. The message 'Selected boot device not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility' appears.

As retrying the boot does not work. I accessed the setup utility by pressing the F2 key. This took me to the BIOS setup. I accessed the 'Boot Sequence' option, which is located underneath the 'System' heading. A list of 5 devices appear:

1. Onboard SATA Hard Drive
2. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)
3. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
4. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
5. USB Device (not present)

I moved number 3 - Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive to the top of the list, making it number 1. I saved the changes and exit. The CD still does not boot up, Windows XP loads as normal.

Do any of you guys have any idea how I can get it to boot up? I really need to reinstall Windows XP again!

Thanks guys,
Matt.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Typically on Dell machines on the original hardware you can invoke the built-in recovery option which doesn't need a CD.
Start it by pressing CTRL+F11 pretty much immediately after the Dell logo appears, where you see a message "Loading PBR for Descriptor" message.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sometimes you have to look for the message "hit any key to boot from CD" or something similar.

Also keep in mind that a factory restore/ full re-install will wipe out all programs and data. Be sure you save your data if you haven'y.