Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Remote desktop over a wireless connection ?

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

At work we have a network of wired Windows XP computers.

Is it possible to wireless-enable one of our laptop (Windows XP Pro) and use that wireless connection to establish a Remote Desktop Connection onto a wired PC on the network in order to check email, access files and print (if performance was adequate it would also be helpful to run our accounting software).

This would enable a few staff who come into the office just a few times a week to sit at any desk with a wireless laptop without needing to have a network cable available.

What hardware would I need to purchase (presumably a wireless dongle for the laptop and a wireless router ?

How easy would it be to set up ? (I ask because I know most people use wireless just for internet sharing).

Regards,
Julia

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi juliaatgeekstogo

You would not have to use remote desktop to do this.
The router you are using now would have to be replaced by 1 that has wireless capability. The new 1 will also have wired capability, so the wired computers will remain the same. To my knowledge, all wireless routers have the capability of wireless and also have at least 4 ports for the wired cables.

Most laptops built now have wireless capability in them. If not, there are numerous brands and options available. You can use a PCMIA card or a USB stick.
The wireless capability is, in simplicity, just replacing the cable from the labtop/computer to the router.

I am preferential towards Linksys, but others will suggest Belkin, D-Link, Netgear, etc.

Consumer Research review
Wireless Router Guide
Newegg.com Wireless routers
Wireless USB adapters

Setting it up is pretty much just following instructions. We can help with that if needed. Also you will want to make the network "secure". That means using encryption so that the only ones allowed access will have to enter a webkey (password). With it not locked down, you are sending a signal to anyone that is in range and then they can connect to your network and get to the internet. This would mean that a hacker could gain access to your computers. Locking the wireless down is not difficult either.

To use, your staff would attempt to connect to your signal and then be asked for the webkey. They would enter the webkey and then get fully connected.

123runner