Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Gateway Failed

• Please log in to reply

BayfieldKelly

BayfieldKelly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Like many others out there, I have run the diagnostic ping test. I came back telling me my gateway id failed. I have written them down.

IP 192.168.0.69
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.0

We have a d-link des-1108

We cannot connect to the internet using the desktop.

Help.

Kelly

Advertisements

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
First thing, It looks like your IP is set for a different network than your Gateway is set to. You have a Subnet of 255.255.255.0, so for your computer to communicate with another device [This would be your gateway] you would need to have the same first three numbers 192.168.1 as your Gateway, inside your IP address.

Secondly, You can't have an IP ending in 0, so you'll need to change your Gateway's IP to something like 192.168.1.1 [Don't just change it on your desktop, but change the settings on the actual Gateway which I'm most likely your Router], and you would be able to use an IP address on your computer such as 192.168.1.13 [Where 13 can be any number from 2-254]

I hope that was clear enough to understand..

Edited by xtthew!, 02 July 2009 - 02:10 PM.