Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have to reset router & modem

• Please log in to reply

5th Letter

5th Letter

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK my comp worked fine after reboots with XP... the internet came back up w/ no issues... now that I have Vista installed, I have to reset my router and modem every time I reboot my comp... I suspect it may be as simple as a setting somewhere or a driver update, but I don't know... Any help?

Peace.

E

Advertisements

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Have you tried running the ipconfig /renew in a Command Prompt when you're unable to connect to the internet?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
How old is your router and modem?
Have you checked to see if they're compatible with Windows Vista?

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
xtthew!, I have not tried the ipconfig/renew thing yet... and usasma, welcome back to helping me try to use my computer correctly...lol... but I mean, it should be compatible if they connect, right? I'm not sure, but it def does connect after the reset...

Peace.

E

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
There were issues with Vista and older modems/routers that manifested themselves this way. It has to do with the DHCP Broadcast Flag (and the solution is in this article if that's the case: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Alright thanks... waiting to see if this fixes it...

Peace.

E