Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowdown in XP when performing graphic functions

• Please log in to reply

Khyron

Khyron

• Pip
  • 5 posts
For about a month now, I've had a weird problem. XP will freeze for about 5-10 seconds and stutter when I am using my Ati card. I've spyware scanned, registry edited and even played with BIOS settings. I've also cleaned out the case instead of overheating.

While this is going on, I've noticed CPU usage will jump to 100% even using a simple app like Visual Boy Advance. XP also freezes when about 400 mb is used in the page file.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. It's only a recent thing. If I am unzipping/Archiving or even running System mechanic or Kaspersky, even playing Spider Solitaire slows down the system.

The system will crawl for a few seconds. Even youtube videos suffer the slowdown.

I also only have the bare minimum system processes running and no startup items except for Kaspersky.

On a normal moment my system has: 317m/3999m and 26 processes running when using task manager.

Here are my specs:

Pentium 4 1.70 Ghz
1024 mb pc 133 Sdram ( 2 x 256 MB, 1 x 512 mb )
256 ATI Radeon X1050 ( AGP 4X )
40 gb HD and 160 Gb hd
Dvd-rom/CD-RW
External HP DVD burner
XP Service Pack 3

I'm attaching my CPUZ log file.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.htm   10.51KB   16 downloads

Edited by Khyron, 02 July 2009 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

40 gb HD and 160 Gb hd

Which one is Windows drive, and how much free space there?

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

NOTE. Take a snapshot, when CPU usage climbs up.

Khyron

Khyron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The 40 GB one is my windows partition. It currently has 15 gb free.

Now I've taken some screenshots when the graphics card is in use. First is using the simple VBA emulator for Gameboy Advance. The second screencap is using Kmeleon and then another is watching a flash video.

I used to not have this problem up until a month ago. Things ran smoothly and I never had stuttering. Just idling with a simple browser and no flash does it too.

I've got enough ram, processor and graphics card to make this PC not act slow ;.;

So I'll attach the process file and the screencaps. I hope it isn't the card dying x.x

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I can see now, what you're talking about.

When was the last time, you cleaned the case inside with compressed air?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Post two sets of results, while computer idle, and when using that game, or browser.

Khyron

Khyron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I opened the case the other day and wiped out the dust. I got most of it around the hard drives, card and motherboard.

I had no compressed air so I used a normal fan. I took it off today and inspected.

It looks like it is running a little hot. Maybe my fan is dying and needs replacing?

The processor has a fan on top of it. It's a basic fan without any logo.

Maybe I need a new one? I was going to see if putting a 2.4 ghz p4 in it would help with the freezing but if the fan is inadequate x.x

I thank you for the assistance. I've never had this slowdown problem till about a month ago.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, you DO NOT wipe anything out inside the case. You may cause permanent damages.
You NEED to buy a can of compressed air, and clean the computer inside.

Secondly, something is running very, very hot. I'm not sure yet what "Remote temp" is but it's listed at 68C while computer idle, 72C with simple game running, and 81 while browsing.
Your Pentium max temp is listed at 76C.
Let's double check what that temperature is.

Download, and install Everest: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html
Open it.
In left pane expand Computer folder.
Click on Sensor, and post similar 3 results, like with SpeedFan.

Khyron

Khyron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here are the images.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, it's your processor overheating. I wouldn't be using this computer until the problem is solved.
You need to clean the case inside with compressed air, see, if all fans are running, possibly reapply thermal paste, install extra fan.
It all depends on SpeedFan readings after cleaning the case.