Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain Programs Can't Connect To The Internet - Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Elyse90505

Elyse90505

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've noticed that certain programs on my computer cannot connect to the internet. For example, my itunes cannot connect to the internet, my antivirus (ESET NOD32), and various other programs. My IE 7 connects to the internet fine, but whenever I do Windows Updates, it no longer connects (until I uninstall the windows updates).

Here's the computer that I have:
I have a Dell Inspiron 5305 Desktop computer with Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1).
I have a wireless internet connection.

I'm up for any ideas because I have ran out of ideas. Thanks!

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
firewall perhaps?

Elyse90505

Elyse90505

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Mike,

I first tried telling Windows Firewall to allow these programs to connect to the internet. That didn't work. So I tried disabling Windows Firewall all together. That didn't work.

The thing is, I have been trying to download SpyBot and another program that a friend recommended to me but I can only download the setup. When I try to actually install the program, it won't let me because it can't connect to the internet.

This is seriously driving me crazy. I even tried disabling ESET NOD32, but that didn't help either.

What I've also noticed is that when I download any windows updates, the internet stops working all together in IE7 (Which is the only program the internet works on).

This is really frustrating, and any help would be appreciated.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
well, you can switch to firefox or google chrome, but that wouldnt solve the problem with your other programs. Does your ISP block any ports or is there a firewall setup on your Router? Are you using just the Windows firewall or do you have any third party firewall blocking software? Who is your ISP and what type of Internet are you using? DSL/Cable/Dialup? You said you have a wireless connection, does this mean your connecting wirelessly to your router or your using a Sprint aircard or something like that.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I had the same problem a while back here is my post make sure your computer is clean of infections. http://www.geekstogo...ox-t260931.html

Edited by willmon2000, 26 December 2009 - 02:58 PM.