Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent boot failures & intermittent wireless connectivity pr

• Please log in to reply

gmw

gmw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi -

First post, but I've often been able to self diagnose and resolve issues with the tremendously useful discussions on g2g...

1) I am having intermittent boot failures, which "hang" on the splash screen (full color XP logo with progress bar beneath it) but do not "freeze" (i.e. progress bar continues to cycle, but boot no longer advances)

2) I am also having intermittent wireless connectivity problems ("the connection has limited or no connectivity") while a laptop sitting next to the desktop connects continuously... when experiencing the problem, ipconfig shows what i think is the default windows ip address (different from what the laptop shows) and/or "media not connected"... ping shows total loss of data packets when experiencing the problem.

3) I also get "dwwin.exe: the application has failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down" error every time i shut down.

So far, I've run the most up-to-date versions of CCleaner (file cleaner & registry tool), ATF cleaner, Eset nod32, Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, jv16 PowerTools (registry cleaner & compactor), and PerfectDisk (defragmenter)...

I attempted to update the wireless adapter's driver, but was unable to find a more up-to-date version...

Desktop Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6000+ 3.0 GHz
Mobo: ??? (not identified by device manager/pc wizard/belarc/everest)
Display adapter: NVDIA GeForce 9600T
System HDD: WD 37 GB 10,000 RPM (raptor, I think)
Storage HDD: WD 160 GB 7,200 RPM
Wireless adapter: Trendnet TEW-421 PC/TEW-423 PI 802.11g [driver date: 11/20/2007]
Router: Buffalo Technology Wireless-G High Speed Router (BTH WHRG125) [driver date: unknown]

I've at least had a prior virtumonde infection on this machine, but don't know if there are residual effects...

HJT logfile below...

PLEASE HELP!

Edited by gmw, 03 July 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

gmw

gmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
removed log

Edited by Rorschach112, 05 July 2009 - 07:57 AM.

gmw

gmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
not trying to be pushy, but was wondering if there's something i should be doing that i haven't in order for my post to be viewed/answered?

Edited by gmw, 03 July 2009 - 10:24 AM.

gmw

gmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry double post

Edited by gmw, 03 July 2009 - 10:23 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...edit the post that contains the hjt log...they can only be posted in the malware forum...

don't bump your thread... people that can help will not even look at your topic because the see several replies to it and think you are getting helped already and its only you replying to your topic..

prior to this...

I am having intermittent boot failures, which "hang" on the splash screen (full color XP logo with progress bar beneath it) but do not "freeze" (i.e. progress bar continues to cycle, but boot no longer advances)

have you added any new hardware or software recently...or updated windows or any other software just before you started having issues..
have you tried system restore yet...go back at least a week before you started having problems...
no joy...
what happens when you try booting into safe mode...

about this...

I am also having intermittent wireless connectivity problems ("the connection has limited or no connectivity") while a laptop sitting next to the desktop connects continuously... when experiencing the problem, ipconfig shows what i think is the default windows ip address (different from what the laptop shows) and/or "media not connected"... ping shows total loss of data packets when experiencing the problem.

try reinstalling the wireless driver...
or what happens when you try connecting with a wired connector (RJ45)