Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"BootMGR is compressed?"

• Please log in to reply

junior2oo

junior2oo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I'm really confused. I just bought the new HP Mini Netbook, a really bad choice, and realized it only had 16 gb's of hard drive space, and 13 gb's of that was being used by the system files. So yeah, only 3 gb's to store my stuff. After exhausting a couple more options I decided to compress the hard drive. Now when I start it up I get the error message "BootMGR is compressed" and a prompt to restart, and when you restart nothing happens.

I'm pretty adept with computers, but this stumps me because I have the restore CD but the laptop doesn't even have a CD drive!
Any suggestions?

Hp Mini Netbook 1000
Windows Xp
Service Pack 3

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Do you have the user manual for the computer...

Usually the vendor will have a partition in the HDD(hard drive) to restore from

to do this requires pressing a key ( I don't know what one specifically) but I believe it is F11

Press this key during the boot up, and it will prompt you to start a recovery...

the computer will be recovered to the day you 1st purchased it...(ALL DATA WILL BE GONE) once you follow the prompts.

Of course this is only possible if they have this installed on your computer...(Most likely)

If there is anyway to install a Cd-Rom this can be done with out losing the data on the computer.

Other wise I believe this is the best way to go.

Good luck

Cbarnard

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is the model number of the netbook. I would like to see if I can find a manual and then research some options.

I want to see if there is a recovery partition (as stated as a choice already) and how to get in to it.
I want to see if a USB cd drive will be able to boot for your recovery.

You only have a couple options, and both are recovery.

123runner

junior2oo

junior2oo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My model is 1116 NR and I tried pressing f11 and nothing happens at start-up so I guess theres no recovery partition.

I did do some research and it seems I have to download the recovery information onto a seperate usb drive and boot it on the computer.
So much more work than recovering a regular computer.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Service Manual Section 8 is Backup and Restore pg 92

On page 94 is the procedure for using the System Restore that is on the drive. Pressing the esc key repeatedly will bring up a restore screen. Since you compressed the drive this might not work, but maybe it left the restore partition alone. I would give this a try first.

If the onboard restore does not work, you are going to have to do the HP MIE Restore Image Creator. You will need a 2gb USB flash drive and also download the image from HP. The instructions are in the manual.

HP Mini 1116NR PC Link to drivers

123runner

junior2oo

junior2oo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the esc thing but nothing happened, so I used my flash with the image creator and now it's fixed!
Out of all the forums I posted this in, this was the only one with a legit answer, thanx! :)

Edited by junior2oo, 05 July 2009 - 06:00 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I am glad that you got it fixed and that we were able to help.

123runner

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Congrats on your success...

Good job 123runner... I was looking for that manual but everything I was finding said something different from HP.

I knew he was in great hands... Ive been busy... Thank you...

Cbarnard

chasing_love

chasing_love

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello, i have the same problem and i've followed all of your instructions and followed my HP Mini 110-1000 instruction for the HP Mi Restore Image Creator, everything was going fine when i launched HP Mi Restore Image Creator but when i had to target the USB drive, it only shows G: H: I: J:, but no drive P: where my USB is located....what do i do?

hpmininotebook

hpmininotebook

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey we got same story.. i just bought hp mini notebook and yeah i just compressed the hard drive and now its just like that i cant log on to the windows it says that my bootmgr is compressed. grr. how can i fix it? im not into computers :) i had recovery but i can't insert it because i dont have external optical drive.

BTW the model is HP mini 110-1040TU

i have read the manual and it says:

Using the Instant Restore utility when the operating system is not fucntioning

To recover information when the operating system is not functioning, follow these steps:
1. Restart the device
-If the OS has stopped responding and the computer screen is blue, restart the device by turning the power switch off and then on.
2. When the device ;pgp (HP or Compaq) is displayed on the screen, press the f6 button repeatedly until the Windows status bar is displayed.
3. When the Roxio BackONTrack screen is displayed, follow the on-screen instructions.

I already did these but nothing happened. so sad. can someone help me.. plss

Edited by hpmininotebook, 01 September 2009 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: hpmininotebook

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic and one that has been resolved for almost 2 months you probably will not get any assistance and it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

hpmininotebook

hpmininotebook

• Pip
  • 3 posts
okay thanks anyway :)

i just bought this laptop HP mini notebook 110-1040TU last month. the hard drive is 160 GB well i didn't have any partition on the drive. i consumed 11GB of the hard drive, i dont know, i just want to compress the hard drive even if the space is big, my fault.. then i wasnt able to finish it because i got many things to do so i cancelled it (is it a wrong idea?) and then when i opened it again the laptop says that BOOTMGR is compressed; press ctrl+alt+del to restart. i already tried what's in the manual and definitely its not working.

The manual says:
Using the Instant Restore utility when the operating system is not fucntioning

To recover information when the operating system is not functioning, follow these steps:
1. Restart the device
-If the OS has stopped responding and the computer screen is blue, restart the device by turning the power switch off and then on.
2. When the device ;pgp (HP or Compaq) is displayed on the screen, press the f6 button repeatedly until the Windows status bar is displayed.
3. When the Roxio BackONTrack screen is displayed, follow the on-screen instructions.

Uhm. what would be the other options you can suggest?

hpmininotebook

hpmininotebook

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i cannot find HP MI Restore Image Creator in the manual :) how can i download it... pls reply

hpminiUNR

hpminiUNR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
has anyone found the recovery software for the hp mini 110 MI edition?? i tried with the recovery for the 1000 edition and my boot got stuck at the hp screen about 15% loaded.

hpmini69

hpmini69

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got the same issue with my HP 1116NR and this is all the info i found on the hp site, http://www.geekstogo...ry-t252593.html , i've added the links to get the HP MIE restore image creator mentioned earlier that can "fix" the issue.

ED