Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Two routers

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Here is what I would like to do. I want to run a cat5 cable from a router in the house 200 feet to another router in the shop and then use that wireless router in the shop with my laptop. Can you have to wireless routers on the same line? Thanks

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, you can have more than one wireless router connected.

You do need to check to make sure that you can run a 200ft cable and have it work. The distance might be too far. In a quick web search, it looks like it might be possible.

The major issue is getting it all to work properly. I connected a wireless router to my main router and after quite a bit of work I managed to get it to work. The second router has to get it's IP address from the first router and the IP address range for the second router needs to be different than the first router. Unfortunately, I don't remember all I had to do in order to get it to work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the BEST/Most effective way to do this is to put the second router in bridged or access point mode...you'll need to check the documentation for the router to figure out how to do this if it's possible....if there isn't a predefined bridge mode or access point mode...then it's going to get harder to have this work correctly (though...for JUST internet sharing it's easier...if you want to share files between computers...not so much)

if you DON'T already have the second router...go out and buy a wireless access point instead...it's already configured to just connect in to the first router and act as a wireless switch/bridge

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks . I will Try that.