Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading ram

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hello all.

im planning on upgrading my RAM from 1gb to 4gb, and I could probably go about buying some without any problems, but thought there's no harm in asking for some advice.

i think i'd stick with ddr2 ram. i dont know much about ddr3, and i dont even know if my mobo could handle it. is there a simple way of finding out if it could..? the price difference is fairly large between the two as well right?

alright,

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

What OS do you have installed?
A 32 bit OS will only utilize 3.2 to 3.5 gigs of memory
A 64 bit OS will be able to see all 4 gigs with no problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 July 2009 - 12:15 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
thanks rshaffer61

is this the information you were asking for?

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Total Memory Slots: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.20GHz Model 6, Stepping 2
# CPU Speed: 3198 MHz

also, how would i go about finding out whether i had a 32 or 64 bit OS? i have xp professional

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory

I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
alright, thanks for the quick replies.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel®
Pentium® D CPU 3.20GHz
3.20GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You have 32-bit Windows XP. This means that Windows XP will only be able to "see" and utilize ~3.25GB (this number typically varies from 2.75GB tp 3.5GB depending on your system) of RAM of the 4GB you'll be getting. However, there are very few reasons you'd ever need more than that much RAM on an XP system, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by stettybet0, 05 July 2009 - 03:36 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
rats.

and thats just based on the windows CD that I bought? so if in the future i ever wanted 64 bit I'd just have to buy a 64 bit CD..?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, I wouldn't recommend getting 64-bit XP. It isn't really supported and has lots of compatibility issues. 64-bit Vista, on the other hand, doesn't suffer from these issues, and it is what you'd want if you want a 64-bit operating system (and buying it now gets you a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.). However, I wouldn't get it just to use the extra RAM. Like I said, you really don't need that much RAM on an XP system in most cases. May I ask why you are upgrading your RAM in the first place? I ask because 1GB is more than enough for basic usage of XP (internet, word processing, music, videos, etc.), so if you are just using your computer for those things, you won't really see any performance benefit from more RAM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well i do play games.

i also end up always having a million things open and running at the same time. music, internet, msn, sometimes a game, and i notice that my computer slows down at times when i do this.

i heard that ram is the easiest and most cost efficient way to bump up your computer speeds, and its gotten extremely cheap as of late.

i was just curious about the 64 bit thing. im happy with XP, and im not really a fan of Vista, so I'll probably hold off on that as long as I can.

essentially my computer is about 3 years old, I just finished working a job up north, so I've got some cash to blow, and I was thinking of upgrading it a bit.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, gaming and heavy multi-tasking are things that would benefit from more RAM. I think you'll be more than happy with your purchase, even though you technically won't be able to use all of it. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a side note also. From my research you can't simply update from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS system.
Normally you would have to do a clean install and then reload all your programs on a 64 bit OS.
Depending on the capacity of your Hard drive you could load a 64 bit OS on the same drive and then boot to whatever OS you wanted to use.
Based on your needs I would agree with Stettybet0 on the ram being a good investment at this time.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
alright, sweet.

is there anything that you guys would recommend :)?

i know there are subtle differences in speeds, and manufacturers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recommend as in what?
Memory or HD?
Memory go to 2 gigs total and try to match what you have already. If not then buy a matching pair and remove the old memory.

HD it depends really on how much space you want and if this is a laptop or desktop.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
for Ram.

I think I'm going to swap out my old 1gb for 2x2gb sticks. even if i dont get to use all 4gb's of it im not too worried. im just asking because there are still price differences between ram, even when its the same amount of gb's.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We usually suggest using Newegg or Tiger Direct.
If you ran the Crucial online Scanner then you have the exact memory configuration needed for your system.

The type and speed will be decided on what your MOBO can handle. From there it really depends on your preference of memory.
I myself am partial to OCZ or Crucial.