Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive thinks its a CD drive

• Please log in to reply

kakaze

kakaze

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've got a DVD drive in my windows xp computer which usually works fine, its a Samsung DVD-ROM sd-608 (whatever that means).
Lately though...its been misbehaving. I put in a DVD and the little cd loading thing appears on my icon...it tries for a while but nothing works- looking to my computer it is shown as a CD drive. Not a DVD drive.
What the...?
It is still recognised as the model it is yet it acts as a cd...

Just tried putting a music cd in there and its recognised right away and is playing just fine.

I've tried deactivating, reactivating and unintalling, reinstalling but it still shows as a CD drive. Any clues?

Advertisements

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just replaced the DVD drive with another (sm-332b) and the same thing is happening, so unless both have the same problem (uber unlikely) seems to be a windows problem.

I'm guessing the key is to somehow delete all cd drivers and force a complete rescan of my drives or forcing xp to use dvd drivers instead of cd ones or something? No clue how to do this though.

Edited by kakaze, 05 July 2009 - 12:42 PM.

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
[bleep]KKK.
Dodgy advice from microsoft destroyed my windows install. Tried reinstalling and it deleted my old one along with a lot of stuff I needed. Still not working either.

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just bumping as nought figured out yet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks.
Nothing like that to be seen in device manager.

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've had suggested to me to take out the motherboard battery for a bit then put it back in...
What would this do? What would be erased by the lack of the battery- would be windows install and all else on the hd be unaffected?

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Done that and nought.