Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot from CD-ROM to reinstall OS

• Please log in to reply

Nilla

Nilla

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello, I am trying to reinstall Windows XP. But I am unable to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I put the CD in the drive and restarted my computer. I entered the Bood Device Menu and selected "IDE CD-ROM Device" (the other choices are" 1. Normal 2. Primary Master Drive 3. Hard Disk Drive C: 4. IDE CD-ROM Device 5. System Setup 6. IDE Drive Diagnostics 7. Boot to Utility Partition). I then pressed Enter. Then Windows Recovery Console appeared and booted into Windows XP normally.

My next attempt was to change the Boot Sequence in the BIOS. I moved IDE CD-ROM Device to number 1 and it failed to boot from the CD again.

My last attempt was edit msconfig to boot from the cd on the next restart. However, when I tried to open msconfig by Run->msconfig I get the following error message: "Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the Start button, and then click Search." Not sure why it can find it. But there are some other odd problems as well such as my task manager window does not fully appear and must use alt-f4 to close it and the tab button to change tabs.

The computer has some problems so I would like to reinstall. Its been awhile since I did it last and I like to do it every once in a while anyway. Also I know that the CD-ROM drive is functional and not broken. Any other suggestion on how can I get it to boot from the CD?

Thanks you!

Advertisements

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
One other thing, I have read to try in the BIOS to my booting from the CD-ROM the only way. However, I don't know how to do that. I do not how to move it up and down in the Boot Sequence. But not sure how to remove the other boot options (ie. Hard-Disk Drive C: and Floppy Device).

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This may help you: https://help.ubuntu....nity/BootFromCD
What is the make and model of your computer?

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi edge2022. Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it now.
The computer is a dell dimension 3000.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
According to this: http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1043338
Tell me what colors the 4 diagnostic lights on the back of your computer are.
Also tell me the beep code, if the computer makes any beeps.

After you change the boot sequence in the BIOS, remember to save your settings.
Check this: http://support.dell....p.htm#wp1054637
Try booting from the XP CD on another computer to make sure that the CD is good.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
A, B, C, D are all green

There is only one beep and that happens after I press F2 (or maybe it was F12) to enter the BIOS.

I did save changes in the BIOS. After it failed to boot from the CD-ROM I went back into the BIOS to see if I made a mistake but it was fine.

I don't have another computer to check the CD with. However, I can browse the contents of the CD now so it seems to be a working disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is this cd you are trying to boot with?
Is it a manufacturer recovery cd or a burned copy?

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello rshaffer61. This CD came with the computer when I bought it. It is a manufacturer cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On a side note if your system is Stock then the memory should be increased to 1 gig.

Being able to explore the cd and booting from it are two different animals.
If you can find a system to test the boot from issue that could help.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't think I will be able to check it on another computer. I have used this disk in the past to reinstall with though. So I know at least it did work.

I can get a hold of another copy of windows from a relative. I don't know if this is legal, but can I install with that? I don't know if that would work when I have to enter in my cd key. My CD has a newer version of windows XP is a service pack while theirs does not. Would this cause a problem, and is this even possible?

Or is there a why to replace my cd with a working copy (if there is in fact a problem with the cd)?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can try using your recovery partition: http://support.dell....o...toggle=&dl=

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Follow what Edge says and try the recovery partition. This should get your system back to where it was brand new.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I was able to boot from the CD (a little human error :)). Anyway I do have one more question about the installation process. My goal is a fresh install. A few steps in to the installation processes, it checks for existing Windows OSs and existing partitions. It finds the OS I would like to install over and a few other partitions listed below.

Existing Partitions
-: Partition1 [FAT] 47 MB (39 MB free)
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 34507 MB (12358 MB free)
F: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585 MB (1564 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

From here I can press Enter, D, C, or F3.

I choose the second option (C:) and press enter. However the next screen warns me not to install multiple OSs on the same partition. Does this mean it wont install over my existing OS? Do I need to press D to delete that partition and then C to recreate the partition?

Thanks again for the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to install it on the C Partition 2
It should give you the option to Replace or Not
Replace it and that should format that partition and install a fresh XP then.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't see the option to replace. It looks similar to this link. See PART 2 screen shots.