Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

draftin21

draftin21

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all, first off im a newb here so be gentle...lol

OK, so whats going on....

Might as well tell the hole story so you know whats up.

First what caused the problem. My friend and I were drinking (yea any story that starts this way is usually not good) one night and i had my laptop sitting on the ground with us because i had my girlfriend from Michigan (im from IL but she will be moving back soon...) on webcam hanging with us....long story short, i spilled a drink on the keyboard...

Now, what currently is going on is that I have tried to boot the computer a few times and it went through it standard checks and actually booted up to the log in screen a few times, however, at this current moment will no longer do that.

I currently am getting a error that reads that im missing a file: <WindowsRoot>\System32\hal.dll

:)

Now i have read a few other threads that had this error in it and have seen that theres a way to replace this however, i do not have a reinstall CD with me as this is a work computer.... <-- Yea the other s.h.i.t.t.y part.

Lastly, the one other thing that i have found out is that i no longer have a working keyboard on the laptop so im hoping that purchasing a new "part" will fix this problem as i can still plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and they work.

SO: what im looking for is some massive help to cover my a.s.s. on this. Any input would be helpful as to where/how i can burn this to a CD maybe? or figure some way out of this.

I live around the Elgin, IL area so if someones willing to help out let me know.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First thing I would suggest is contact the manufacturer of your laptop. They can usually supply a recovery cd for very little expense.
Normall between 30 to 45 dollars. This is a great backup just in case of issues like this.
Second of all some system info will help.
Make and Model of laptop.

draftin21

draftin21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dell Laptop

Dell Service Code: 83p8xg1

FYI: Im also running through this process right now: http://www.geekstogo...ing-t231564.htm

EDIT/UPDATE: Just tried the Seagate CD as well as the Recovery Center CD and both did not work...the Seagate CD gave me a error code and the Recovery CD ended with a Blue Screen Error Message...

Edited by draftin21, 05 July 2009 - 05:28 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Seagate CD gave me a error code

Describe it... give the exact message. Did you try a long diagnostic?

Blue Screen Error Message...

Give the STOP code and any drivers it mentions.
By the Recovery Center CD do you mean this: http://sites.google....-console-for-xp
And are these the steps that went with it: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

Do you have data that you need backed up?

draftin21

draftin21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you have data that you need backed up?

IF i can back up as much of it as possible i would be very greatful, i am in the process of downloading that "ubuntu" software now and i have a external hard drive that i can use...i just hope its not the hard drive that is F'd up...

I will get those codes now and post.

draftin21

draftin21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I will get those codes now and post.

Heres that info and thank you very much for your time thus far:

Seagate CD END MSG:

Invalid Opcode at 7146 1722 3002 1BE4 1BE4 6076 0002 0000 0010 6CED A0A0 6CD1 0000

Recovery CD is what you posted link to...heres the "STOP" tech info:

Technical Infromation:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF748E0BF,0xF78DA208,0xF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Edited by draftin21, 05 July 2009 - 06:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Choose either Puppy or Ubuntu; it's a matter of personal choice... post back when you have your data back.
Do you have enough hard disk space (at least 10GB free)?