Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to reinstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Mich73

Mich73

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
This is a mess. My daughters pc is a Dell Optiflex 745. She has some viruses on it that the standard programs suggested on here would not remove. I had not got around to coming here and posting for help on it. Then her pc would boot up super slow, but all her icons and everything on her desktop was missing. I was trying to do some things suggested on here from another person have similiar issues..then my husband stepped in.

He decided to take the Windows off and reinstall it all together. I did not watch him, I dont know if he even did it right but now when we try to install the Cd its asking for it gets halfway through and gives me a message that it did not install properly and install the cd Windows XP service pack 2. To which we do and it keeps doing the same thing over and over. If I take the disk out and reboot, I get the same message.

Im not sure I have all the proper cds I need.

Thanks
Michele

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Start over. Follow this manual: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did the clean install and this is the message I am getting. I had to hand write it so some of it may be off a tad.

Error

SXS.DLL:Syntax error in manifest or policy File
"D:\I386\asms\10\SMFT\Windows\GDIPLUS.ma on line 4

Installation Function
D:\I386\asms

one of the components windows needs to continue setup couldnt be installed

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is the installation done, or you're stuck in the middle of installation with the above error?
If the first case, check here: http://www.hardwarea...nt/topic/15875/

Mich73

Mich73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
It does not finish the install. It stops at 39 minutes left each time. Not sure where its at in the install but I can retry and let u know the specifics if needed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Check here: http://support.micro...kb/828267/en-us

obewan2

obewan2

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had the same problem on my Dell. I think I had a virus that wrecked the hard drive. I got two replacement drives in a row from a supplier in CA that were BOTH bad, but I did not know they were bad. Every time I tried the reinstall on XP it would hang. The drive utilities all CLAIMED the drive was good. Finally, I gave up and took to to a shop. They did their own tests, and told me the drive was STILL bad. They replaced the drive with a new one that was three times as big, and installed the new OP sys for only $200 parts and labor. It was worth it to stop pulling my hair out. Plus, they upgraded everything to the latest and gave me a free anti virus program.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hard drives do go bad, but not from viruses. Viruses can't cause physical damages.

obewan2

obewan2

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hard drives do go bad, but not from viruses. Viruses can't cause physical damages.

I was not sure about that. I read on a thread here when I had my problem that there was a virus that somehow destroyed the boot sector on the drive so that it was not readable. I suppose if that were the case that the op sys could do nothing with it though.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Boot sector is still just information ("zeros", and "ones"). No physical damage.
Such hard drive is still good to go after formatting.